Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, on my 1965 Mustang (with non power disc brakes) my taillights, and turn signals both operate normal. But my brake lights during all circumstances only work sometimes, no matter how far or how hard I depress the brake pedal. Is there anyway the the brake light switch needs adjustment or should I just replace the entire switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
465 Posts
more than likely it is the brake light switch,the switch is not adjustable and a brake adjustment won't do anything for switch operation,hope this helps

·
Registered
831 Posts
Remove the switch from the pedal and see if you can get it to work. It might just need some oil on the slider, or one of the connections on the switch is loose.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
There should be two nylon washers on the brake light switch, one is thin with a shoulder, the thin side fits inside the brake pushrod that goes inside the brake switch, the other washer is a lot thicker about 1/8" it fits between the brake light switch and the hairpin clip, if these are missing the switch will not work properly. If the washers are present and installed correctly, then the brake light switch is most likely worn out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the brake lights do work at random times when the pedal is depressed, can the nylon washers be replaced? And also if I can get a quick description on how to disassemble the switch from under the dash. I have tried previously to remove it and couldn't quite figure it out.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
To remove it, remove the hairpin (hang onto it with a pair of pliers), remove the thick nylon washer, then slide the switch towards the end of the pivot rod, when the metal side of the brake switch just clears the end of the pivot rod wiggle the switch downward and it should come off, one metal side of the brake switch has a hole and the other side has a slot. The nylon washers usually don't wear out, but you can check their condition when you remove the switch. Good Luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We added power brakes to my 67 but kept the original pedal arm.
so i was having trouble with the brake lights not being sensitive enough. they worked sometimes and sometimes not.
I bought a power brake pedal and took the bushings out of the pedal mounting.it helped.
I don't know if anything here will help you but thought I would try.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you still have the brake light issue after you've monkeyed with the switch, try manipulating the multiple wire connector that comes out of the column. There are two (one I think for the horn and one for the brakes/signals). For some odd reason FoMoCo engineered the brakes, signals and running lights to go through the steering column switch. I know mine is funky when the right or left signal indicator doesn't work on the dash. The brake lights don't work as well when this happens. I reach under the dash and jiggle or push/pull the connector until the signal indicator works and then everything is fine. Good luck and let us know what it was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took apart the brake light switch the best I could without tearing anything up, but I was unable to find anything visual wrong with the switch. And now the brake lights fail to come on period. So I shall replace the switch, as soon as possible as this is my daily driver. I appreciate the help and I now further understand the operation of the switch. This is my first car/restoration and I've done all the work myself. This website has helped with many issues I have faced during the years. Thanks to all, as I will try and contribute as much as possible when I can.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The turn signal switch failure is so common. Might want to order two since prices just go up and up. I am certain you'll be replacing it again in a year or two since this is your daily driver.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Believe it or not, the brake light switch itself IS adjustable.

Before I describe, definitely try the new switch and see if this cures your problem. Hope it does.

However, unless you had disc brakes from the factory, your push rod (the rod that actually contacts the brake light switch and compresses the spring) may have been replaced. (Note: if changing from drums to disc, always try, if possible, to use the original push rod.)

If the push rod has been changed, it may not be engaging the switch properly. The problem is that aftermarket parts don't always have the exact dimensions or geometry needed. If you have an aftermarket push rod, and if it's at least close to the proper configuration (it sounds like it is, since you said you got the brake lights to work occasionally), you can actually adjust the switch itself.

Look at your old switch to see the two tabs that stick out from the body of the switch, the two ends of the plate that hold the top of the spring in place and that contacts the push rod when you step on the brakes. Try bending both tabs up, in the direction away from the spring. If your switch is original or just old you'll notice that it is worn down towards the center. Bending the tabs up changes the orientation of the plate slightly (making it a bit concave) to allow better contact with the push rod.

I suggest bending it only slightly, then reinstalling the switch to see how it works. You may have to do this several times to get the right geometry. IMPORTANT NOTE: if you bend the plate up too much, it will be in constant contact with the rod and your brake lights will stay on all the time! In this case, you'll need to back off a bit.

I understand that many may consider this a rinky-dink solution. But, if we had perfect replacement parts, we wouldn't need to do such goofy repairs.

In case you haven't guessed, I had your same problem and this was the only way I could get brake lights back on my '65 coupe after upgrading from front drums to discs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, on my 1965 Mustang (with non power disc brakes) my taillights, and turn signals both operate normal. But my brake lights during all circumstances only work sometimes, no matter how far or how hard I depress the brake pedal. Is there anyway the the brake light switch needs adjustment or should I just replace the entire switch?

Thanks[/quot I replaced the switch on mine and problem solved.:bigthumbsupI also have drum brakes all round with no power assist.Exactly the same symptoms. My switch which is on the master cylinder had 2 wires from it, pushed and wiggled no good! Easy fix 1 switch the brake lights worked.Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just replaced the brake light switch on my Mustang, sure enough it solved the problem. Thanks all for the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts