Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I swapped my plain rear valance for a GT style one. I was able to remove the vertical bumper guards, but there are supports for the guards that block the exhaust openings.

It looks like these supports are held onto the car with strange flat nuts that won't accommodate a wrench. Anyone have some tips on how to remove those supports?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I did the same upgrade to the GT valance. I had to drill out the top weld but the bottom had a regular bolt. Careful with the rear cross-member. It's not the strongest piece of metal. Good Luck :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
EDIT - looks like Fixup has got you covered!

I know the similar brackets on my 67 had to be removed by accessing the bolts from inside the trunk, but ';m not sure about the 65's.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks 65!

I'll take a stab at it tonight... funny, that weld looks like it shoulda been a bolt.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You know I thought the same thing. But there was no bolt & nut inside the trunk area. My 65 had been hit in the rear. It's possible the PO did some creative work back there. :shrug

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, so here's what I found...

Both braces actually were bolted, not welded in. I was confused at first because the head of the bolt was in the trunk and there was a clip nut on the other side. With all the road gunk on it, it looked kinda like a rivet.

The bolts were a little hard to turn, but with a little penetrating oil they came out just fine.

65-I wonder if your PO did the welding, or if my PO rigged a bolt-in setup. What's stock? Veronica????

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
On my 66, it was a bolt holding it in for both sides. I thought I was going to have to cut it off but realize it wasn't welded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.