Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello folks i am having a carburetor leak ... i was told a couple of different things ..

+ i was told by a friend to see where the leak is coming from then i can buy gasket paper and cut out to the size of the gaskets then replace them ... please let me know if this is a good option..
+ i was also told that i can buy a kit mustang unlimited told me for 23 to 35 bucs i can get the right seals and replace them all ...
+ also can anyone recommend a cheap and safe way to clean all the residue from the leak
taking out the carburetor

+i am a novice at this is this something i can do on my own? anything i need to worry about ?.. any comments and opinions are welcome
thank you all in advance

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Gasket paper could work or it might not depending upon what leaks. You don't say what carb you have but if its an original Autolite go to your local Autozone and buy a complete carb kit for $14; either 2 or 4 barrel is the same price. Thats not much different in price than gasket paper, easier to use and more likely to work.

While you are there buy some carburetor cleaner in a spray can to clean up the mess it all made.

$14 is our local price. Seems in Brooklyn they are $17 plus shipping. At least you have 10 stores to chose from. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 1965 straight 6 just took a look at it but could not see any markings... where would the info be regarding the carburetor..
thank you for replying

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I think the 1965's with the 200 ci. engine had an Autolite 1100 carb. A complete rebuild kit is available like Ivy said and they are alot cheaper if you buy from one of the local chain parts stores. The kit will also include the needle valve and seat for your carb. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts