Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Holley Street Avenger for my 302 engine that's going in my 65 conversion. It's the 570 CFM/Manual Choke. One thing I noticed on the carburetor is that it is has vacuum secondaries. I bought one for my 78 Chevy pick-up, and it performed better than the Edelbrock. That's why I bought this one for my 302. Would I have to purchase a Holley carb with mechanical secondaries or will the vacuum operated secondaries work?

·
Registered
111 Posts
In answer to your question, either will work. I have a 65 with a 302 as well, and am much more satisfied with the Holley than I was with the Edelbrock. The difference is that mechanical secondaries are controlled by the throttle, whereas the secondaries on a Holley are controlled by the amount of vacuum; they only open if needed. If you're just running around the streets, Holley's going to be your best bet. If you're planning on making this a track/strip machine, Edelbrock might be a better choice.
Post your findings when you have some! :)

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
99% of the time a vacuum secondary carb will work better on the street. that 570 street avenger is perfect for 289/302! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! I made the right choice. I'm gonna keep the Street Avenger. It's just gonna be a street cruiser. If I go to any drag races, it will be open drag night at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Thanks guys!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts