Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 mustang coupe with a 302 3 speed. the clutch pedal is sitting very close the the fire wall. I have adjusted the clutch rod thing inside the engine compartment but its still way too low. does anyone know how i can bring the pedal up?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a similar problem, except mine happend while driving. Turns out on the '67, the bearing shaft for the clutch pedal-to-clutch-lever mechanism runs between the transmission and the frame. It's basically a hollow tube. There is a plastic ball shaped swivel on posts both ends that the shaft rides on. There are also supposed to be thick felt washers on both ends.

I somehow lost the felt washers and the shaft ended up with too much side to side movement. One stomp on the gas and enough flex in the tranny caused one end to come loose from the ball swivel. The shaft ended up in free space but sort of held in place by the springs.

Make sure all the piece parts are there and that there is no significant amount of side play.

Follow this link, turn to page 136 for a blow up picture.
http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=mtg09flx#

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou but i just replaced all of the inside components as you said and im still having the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any chance you put it back in upside down/backward? I think it would fit and the differences in arm lenghts/angles might cause this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can you lift the pedal up to normal height with your hand. If you can but it just falls back when you let go of it, look at the big spring at the top of the pedal assy. and make sure it is attached properly and not stretched out. They are available as repops if needed. Once you have it working properly adjust the clutch again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am positive it is not in backwards. and I can lift it up and it doesnt fall down. it stays there. but there is no tension on it until about 3 inches away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts