Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, new here, and new to the classic mustangs. been around an old '65 for a while now and my grandma has finally decided to sell it to me.

I picked up a reproduction of the '65 service manual but it shows ZERO for the convertible top (at least that i can find).

I need to check the resevoir and im 99% sure add some fluid but i am not sure where its located, in my search im guessing i need to remove the rear seat to get to it as i pulled the vinyl that creates the nest for the top when done and it just opens to the trunk.

In looking at the hydraulic cylinders and the lines going to them it appears mine actually has brake fluid instead of tranny fluid like some later models (ive read the 62-67? year cars could have been either or)

thanks !

·
Registered
494 Posts
reservoir location

Hi

Try raising the top to the fully raised position and locate the motor for the pump. Above the motor is a reservoir with a filler plug on top. Remove the filler plug and fill there. Fill slowly so that the fluid doesn't get all over the top. I would consider buying a service manual when you get a chance. The top is covered in group (chapter 18) and has some great pictures (diagrams).:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See i have the reproduction service manual and i didnt see anything for the motor/resevoir.

i will have to go grab it out of the glovebox and check it out again. I may have just not noticed it, but the pictures didnt appear to be convertible, only hatch,notch

edit: also, im having a hard time finding where its at haha, im assuming behind the seat? but do i have to remove the seat? with the top up is when i removed the vinyl pocket that holds the top when down, and it just opened to the trunk.

oh well, im off to look at the manual again :shigrin

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does your manual have Group (chapter 18)? if so there is a good drawing of the motor and resevoir.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) It's between the back seat and the trunk. Here are a couple of pictures of my car. The first one is from the trunk, the second is with the back seat out.Mine is an earlier car, but the system is the same as yours. If the fluid in it is clear, that's either power steering fluid or plain old hydraulic fluid, NOT brake fluid, even though brake fluid is a type of hydraulic fluid. Don't use brake fluid, as it will not be good for the pump.:nogrinner

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.