Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first car, which happens to be a 1965 Ford Mustang coupe with a 6 cylinder engine, automatic transmission, manual steering (I think), and original drum brakes.

I am restoring it to be my daily driver, nothing fancy like a show car. I'm only 18 and have had very little experience working on cars, so I was hoping I could get some advice on getting the brakes working.

I want to convert the original drum brakes (which haven't worked since I got the car) to disc brakes. What are the things that I should take into consideration? How do I know if I need to replace the back end of the car? What brand of disc brake conversion kit should I use? My car has 4 lugs. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good people and advice here.

The older Mustangs all came with 4 lug hubs with a I6. That is part of your problem. When you go to 5 lug disc in front, you still have the 4 lug rear end. Not too much of a problem for mild driving except you now need 2 spares.

The conversion is fairly straight forward if you buy a specific kit for your car. They are available from NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, and other vendors. You can also find certain cars that you can take the front suspension off and put on yours. Lots of others are more qualified to lead you thru that. The master cylinders are different and will have to be changed. I would also change all the brake lines, at least in front.

There are lots of other threads on this subject, you need to do a search. Mustang Monthly has also done articles on this. You tube has stuff also. Read up and educate yourself is the first step.

Money is a real consideration. This will end up costing near $1000, which seems to be the magic number of most of the major upgrades.

Do you have someone with experience to help you. Some of the steps dealing with the spring can be dangerous.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It sounds like you're talking about the suspension or something, from my limited knowledge. I was hoping not to do anything to that. Do I need to replace it? $1000 sounds like a lot just to get some disc brakes on the car. And can't I do it while keeping the 4 lug set up? Is 4 lugs not enough even though I'll be keeping the 6 cylinder engine?
Edit: I read about another user on this forum converting to disc brakes for about $350 total using a scarebird kit. And no I don't have anyone with any experience. Just me.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
There are so many ways to do this. But most of them I have read about require changing the spindles. That is the part that the wheel is bolted to and then goes up and down to the suspension arms, like a horizontal Y. To take it off the arms you have to compress the big spring, and that is the part that if not done right can hurt you.

I'm not sure if there even is a kit that has the 4 lug hubs. Maybe someone else that deals with all this can answer this for you. I'm just trying to let you know it is not a quick swap.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I own a 65 I-6 convertible and upgraded to front power assisted disk brakes last year. Bolt-on kits are now available from companies like SSBC and Summit Racing that are specifically made for 6-cylinder Mustangs with (14") 4-lug wheels. I chose the Summit kit, as it was cheaper at the time and did not require me to make any additional modifications to my wheels, steering or suspension. The link below will take you to a thread from last summer where this issue was discussed at length. You will see several good options for this upgrade are available.

If you choose either the SSBC or Summit options, I can provide some insight as to the installation process.

Good luck with your project!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/471633-help-1966-mustang-front-disc-brake-conversion.html

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did the Scarebird conversion on my 66 Mustang because the were no 4 lug kits available at the time. When I did my conversion the only thing that you got was a set of bracket and a list of parts needed. The system works great and the total install, I did all the work myself, was less than 350 back then. Can't say what the best 4 lug kit is question.gif because its the only one that I've used and its works great for what I use the car for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did the Scarebird conversion on my 66 Mustang because the were no 4 lug kits available at the time. When I did my conversion the only thing that you got was a set of bracket and a list of parts needed. The system works great and the total install, I did all the work myself, was less than 350 back then. Can't say what the best 4 lug kit is question.gif because its the only one that I've used and its works great for what I use the car for.
$350? That would be nice. CSRP is quoting me $914 for it, and I haven't gotten much info from Scarebird yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own a 65 I-6 convertible and upgraded to front power assisted disk brakes last year. Bolt-on kits are now available from companies like SSBC and Summit Racing that are specifically made for 6-cylinder Mustangs with (14") 4-lug wheels. I chose the Summit kit, as it was cheaper at the time and did not require me to make any additional modifications to my wheels, steering or suspension. The link below will take you to a thread from last summer where this issue was discussed at length. You will see several good options for this upgrade are available.

If you choose either the SSBC or Summit options, I can provide some insight as to the installation process.

Good luck with your project!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-talk/471633-help-1966-mustang-front-disc-brake-conversion.html
Thank you! I'm trying to decide which brand to go with, but it'd difficult to set one apart having no knowledge or experience with this kind of thing. If I end up getting one of those, I will take you up on some advice, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are so many ways to do this. But most of them I have read about require changing the spindles. That is the part that the wheel is bolted to and then goes up and down to the suspension arms, like a horizontal Y. To take it off the arms you have to compress the big spring, and that is the part that if not done right can hurt you.

I'm not sure if there even is a kit that has the 4 lug hubs. Maybe someone else that deals with all this can answer this for you. I'm just trying to let you know it is not a quick swap.
Oh, I understand now. Thank you. I'm hoping I can avoid having to do that..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts