Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as the title says, ive got a 65 that im in the process of switching from an incomplete carbed setup over to an injected setup. My first issue, is that the headers that i was sold with the car (bbk shorties) dont fit, so pending further research i decided to start with the induction side of the car first. After conferring with a local shop that i trust, i decided to go with a trickflow trackheat setup. Today i went to go make sure it'd clear the hood, and i got stopped because the upper intake doesnt clear the strut tower brace..

i feel like either this car was supposed to get lowered mounts when it got the 5.0, or i just have to replace these parts with stuff specific to this swap?

maybe i just need a couple helpful links or something.. haha

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
342 Posts
If it is a 5.0 block into a stock 65, you can use headers for a 289. 5.0 headers/exh manifolds, in my experience with 5.0L into a 66, will not fit, as they go too far 'out' before they turn down.
I put the 5.0 in, or tried to, with stock 5.0 manifolds on, wrong answer, won't fit.

In my set up, I used a stock 5.0 with stock EFI manifold/plenum. I used stock motor mounts and there was no problem with clearance.
I know adjustable mounts are available from Ron Morris, but as far as I know, they are adjustable front to rear, not up and down, but I could be wrong.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you running a strut tower brace at all? if so, what brand? i like the look of the one that the car came with, but it seems to have been designed for a carbed setup, or atleast just not designed to fit these large upper intakes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am running a brace, got it off eBay. I'm at work now but can tell you the brand later.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Really a 302 is a 4.9 but ford rounded it up i guess.Gm made a 302 also most forget about it the early camaros had it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input guys. i just found the ONLY stb on ebay made to fit a 5.0 and grabbed that...

now im looking on summit trying to decide between the dynomax and hooker coated LTs. i know theyre both good brands, but have you heard anything good/bad regarding either? should i be looking into other brands? im a firm believer in getting what you pay for when it comes to headers. are there any brands that fit (and perform) better/worse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts