Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the headliner in my '65 coupe. I have removed the old headliner, the bows and the insulation. I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of insulation I can use. I have heard the silver insulation sold at Lowe's would work. Any suggestions as what I can use???

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm not familiar with the product you're talking about from Lowes. I do know that there is not a lot of room between the headliner bows and the roof. At least not on a fastback. You don't want to distort those bows in any way or your headliner won't lie right. Remember, there is extra vinyl where the bows slip into the headliner which has to lie correctly or it will show through. What ever you use has to be fairly thin. I looked into Dyna-mat but it's pretty pricey to do the roof. I went with the headliner insulation kit from NPD but you can get it from any of the Mustang Suppliers. It comes in 2 pieces and you have to use a spray adhesive. At least it affords you some heat protection. Good Luck :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Reflectix

I think you are talking about Reflectix insulation at Lowes
Shop Reflectix 4' x 25' R-3.7 Double Reflective Foil Insulation at Lowes.com

It is like heavy duty foil bubble insulation - it is very thin though, and you can use it with the regular insulation. it comes in 2' or 4' wide rolls - it cost anywhere from $15 - $60 depending on the size of the roll.
I used Reflectix on the entire roof of my '66 coupe - it is a great heat barrier and helps with sound also. After I applied a layer of Reflectix, I used the regular insulation and supplemented it so that every spot on the roof was covered. The heat does not come through so bad in the summertime, and the car is quieter. The roof has a very solid "thud" when you tap on it (knocks out rain noise, etc.)
(I also added a '67 dome light while I had the headliner out - the mounting point is already there)

Reflectix also works well as a heat barrier on the transmission hump and firewall - I cannot feel any heat from the transmission after I put a layer of Reflectix on the hump (between the front seats) underneath my carpet and regular underlayment.

I think I am going with B-Quiet sound deadener material for the other parts of the car (doors, quarters) - B-Quiet sound deadening material
it is much cheaper than Dynamat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cobra,

That is the stuff! So you used it with more insulation? Do you think I could use it alone? If not, where did you order your insulation from? I don't have many places near me to get insulation from and the nearby car upholstery shop told me not to put anything under the headliner..they said they didn't when they redid a car..glad I didn't take it to them to do it! Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used similar, if not exactly the same stuff. You may be able to get it even cheaper at a household heater/stove type store. I think that's where I got mine. The stuff is GREAT to work with! You just cut it with scissors and use spray adhesive and you can get it to fit just about anywhere. I used it on my roof and on my driveline tunnel and under the seats. Pretty much just like Cobra 6 was saying. Quieted the car down a TON when I was putting it in. Seems like good stuff to me. Now that I think about it, I should put some in the doors too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate everyone's help! My car goes into the paint shop Monday...fingers crossed...then I will put in insulation and headliner...can't wait to get her back and take her to my first show!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.