Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully in the next hour i will have my cowl panel off. im almost done with the million spot welds. ok I havent really figured out my paint scheme yet. It going to be wimbledon white with some kinda red, either red racing stripes, or some kinda red design. The question is? Under the cowl if you have say a blue car with white stripes what under the cowl? Or white with blue stripes. Im just thinhking of over spray. either way i look at it its gunna have overspray in there...Do i paint it white, red, or i dont know black maybe? im going out continuing drilling and cutting i will wait to see what you guys say.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I would put epoxy in the cowl and let the overspray do the rest of the work. A lot of overspray does get in there.

Keep in mind you still want enough bare metal on the cowl that you can do your welds.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
It's very difficult to see in the cowl area after it's all put back together and painted. YOU might know what's going on in there because you have been up close and personal, but onlookers will not notice much.

That said, my 67 is white with bold black racing stripes and I removed my cowl for repairs then painted the cowl area white before welding it back on. What Lizer says about bare metal is critical - you won't get good welds trying to weld through paint. I placed my cowl on the car, marked where the spot welds would be going and ground/sanded back to bare metal. Anyhow, the black stripes got painted on and basically fogged the inner cowl area under the stripes a misty black. Here's some pics that show how the blacks fogged beneath the stripes, but left the areas under neath the non-striped sections still the body color (white).

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i will paint it white then. i figured as much, not to many ways to keep paint from blending together in there. i got the cowl if right now. removed all the rust i could and then painted it withrust stopping paint and applied seam sealer to the vents. God i hate cutting my car lol. Especially when i dont know what im doing. ill post some pictures for people to see. I made one BIG mistake but im fixing it right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts