Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temperature gauge in my 1965 Mustang Coupe is not working at all. I checked the sender on the engine and it looks fine. But the red wire that is connecting to the sender the plastic covering around it, is corroded and the wire is bending at almost a 90° angle. I have further yet to unwrap the electrical tape that covers the wire as it leads to the firewall

·
Registered
329 Posts
Install a mechanical gauge for peace of mind and know the real temperature of your coolant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
With the help of an assistant, I would first check to see if it is a wire issue, gauge issue, or a sending unit issue. My temp gauge wasn't working correctly on my 67 because it would barely register the temp after it warmed up. I first checked the wiring by taking the wire off the sending unit and while having someone in the car, make sure you don't start it but turn the key to the ON position and then ground the sending wire to the engine block or some other good ground. If there is current in the wire, the needle in the gauge will move to the HOT side of the gauge. If does not move then you either have a break in the wire or the gauge is bad. If the gauge moves to the HOT side, then the sending unit is bad and needs to be replaced. You can not tell from outward appearance if the sending unit is BAD or GOOD. My problem was that the sending unit was bad and after replacing the unit, the temp gauge works properly. Now, if I can just get my fuel gauge to register properly.:kooky:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts