Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted some thoughts/opinions on what you guys think is causing this issue:

When I put my '65 back together, I aligned the doors and adjusted for gaps, with nothing else installed in the doors (just empty door shells). I also replaced the lower door hinges while I was at it, as the driver's side had a big drop problem from being worn out, and I replaced the passenger side for good measures. The uppers were fine, and all was well with the doors.

Here's the problem now - I just installed the driver's side glass (vent window and main glass) and the window track, scissors, etc etc and now my door drops with the weight of the glass and other stuff installed in it. It doesn't drop much, just enough to annoy me into having to lift the door up a tad to close it. Once the latch catches the striker, it's fine.

So...I'm looking for what may be the cause of this, and how to properly address it. Is it a bad upper hinge, or maybe needing to tighten those upper bolts a little more? Perhaps misalignment of the latch to striker with the added weight? Per the shop manual, I don't want to move the striker to address misalignment, but I don't see that the latch provides much adjustmentability to shift it up with the three screws.

Thoughts/any suggestions of things to try appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had 2 1965's, a '66 and a '67, long time ago.

My first '65 gave me the same grief as yours, I can identify, after I took the door off to work on it.

Tightening the top hinge is the first thing to do, but I don't think you can overtighten it? I can't see that working.

This is an upper hinge problem for sure, since you replaced the bottoms. It indicates a worn pin or even worse: their seats or holes? Try replacing pins, it worked in the case of my 1967, perfectly!

You could have one of the thicker upper hinge plates machined down a bit, like a cylinder head?

I just put shims or a gasket at the bottom on the '65, or wherever's necessary.

You have to look at the front gap too, when installed, first as a hint, and then for the solution, and to check the quality of your work after.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts