Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1965 Mustang coupe, 289 6-cylinder. I'm in the process of restoring it and I have some questions about getting the electrical going.

Underneath the steering wheel where that clump of wires hangs down, most of them are cut, seemingly by wire cutters and are just hanging loose. They are color coded, and I could probably make sense of the mess enough to tape them all back together.. but my question is, would it be easier (and worth it) just to replace the entire electrical harness altogether?

I have absolutely zero knowledge on this, and would greatly appreciate help!

·
Banned
828 Posts
the harness comes in sections so you can just buy the section you need. make sure you get the one that matches your car. some people put gauges in their 65's. you need to determine what yours originally had. a 65 with deluxe int would have gauges.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do not just tape the wires back together. That is a fire waiting to happen. To do it properly they need to be soldered and shrink wrapped. Don't use scotch locks either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can relate to your situation, I when I got my mustang there were very few salvageable wires in the whole care and I explored my options. The best thing to do it replace the wires, obviously nothing beats a brand new wire with no cuts, splices, or patches. That, however, may not always be an option! So in the event that it is not an option for you can patch them. Take your time, read the wiring schematics on your vehicle and then strip both ends of the wire, twist them together really tight and then shrink wrap. Shrink wrap is the best thing out there for patching wires, I highly recommend it. I redid practically the whole under hood electrical of my car with some wire I bought from home depot and shrink wrap, it can be done! Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just replaced mine. Unfortunately that wire harness is the most expensive of them all. Even though I downloaded the wiring diagram, I still labeled the connections off the old one just in case,
With the wires out of the way I took advantage of the free space and removed, cleaned and repainted under the dash,

·
Registered
663 Posts
is it the harness going into the steering column? Or your main wiring harness? If it was cut it was probably because they were having some shorting issues and didn't want to deal with them, in which case, I would start over with a new harness, as I did with mine. It is expenses but provides a good piece of mine and alot of other problems eliminated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Buy a new dash harness.Plug and play. While you are in there.... Replace the turn signal switch. The is a member on the Vintage Mustang Forum that refurbishes harnesses. His name is Midlife. Look in the for sale section. He has stood reputation. Take the steering wheel off and pull the seats out, it makes the job much easier! You didn't want the years of smoke and fire coming out of your old harness!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!

Thank you all! I truly appreciate all the responses. I'll most likely replace the entire harness :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Can you post some photos? Wiring is one of the skills you will need with this car. Although all the wires are color coded, they sometimes change when going thru a connector. So a red/white wire may not be that at the business end.

Before you jump into the new harness make sure you understand if it will involve a new fuse box. That will make it much more complicated for you. Just take your time and do it step by step.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you post some photos? Wiring is one of the skills you will need with this car. Although all the wires are color coded, they sometimes change when going thru a connector. So a red/white wire may not be that at the business end.

Before you jump into the new harness make sure you understand if it will involve a new fuse box. That will make it much more complicated for you. Just take your time and do it step by step.
Yes I can get some pictures next time I go work on my car. Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts