Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) Probably not. That is what stabilizes the tops of the shock towers. When you are riding down the road, there will be some additional flexing as you hit little bumps, and, on a 50 year old car, that can't be a good thing. On my car I have both the export brace and the standard cowl braces. Most people look for ways to make their car more rigid, not less rigid. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Just to make sure we are all on the same page: There were always the standard braces to the shock towers. An export brace is an additional, more sturdy brace doing the same job only better.

Although it might be possible for a short time, or in an emergency, I wouldn't want to drive my cars without some form of those braces.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to make sure we are all on the same page: There were always the standard braces to the shock towers. An export brace is an additional, more sturdy brace doing the same job only better.

Although it might be possible for a short time, or in an emergency, I wouldn't want to drive my cars without some form of those braces.
Can you send me a link to buy the standard braces because mine has nothing right now

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Can you send me a link to buy the standard braces...
I don't know about the standard braces; I don't find anyone who sells them. They never go bad, why would anyone need one? :)

In the NPD drawings of underhood part numbers they don't even list those, just the export braces. For '65/'66 the complete part numbers were: C5ZZ-16A052-C (RH) and C5ZZ-16A053-B (LH) each being a 'flat stamping 19 13/16" long'. Today the parts sellers have 'borrowed' that exact 052 number and use it for their single piece export braces.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just looked in my Mustangs Unlimited book and they don't sell the 64 or 65 braces either. Maybe one reason is the early ones did not bolt to the upper shock mounts, but rather a bracket welded to the outside of the shock tower. They are made with the W facing down, so no factory parts trays. Just be sure of the bolt spacing at the cowl. Ref: PN 160521, 160522, A121, and A122, about page 295.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a set that I won't be using. Send me a message and we can discuss how to get them to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts