Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting front shocks in my 1965 mustang and lost a bolt. What size are the threads on the bolts. I know the heads are 1/2 but that doesnt tell me the thread size

·
Banned
828 Posts
hello;

the shocks have no bolts so exactly what bolt did you loose?

if the nut uses a 1/2" docket, the bolt is typically 5/16". the thread pitch, is commonly 18 but could be 24 if it is fine thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello;

the shocks have no bolts so exactly what bolt did you loose?

if the nut uses a 1/2" docket, the bolt is typically 5/16". the thread pitch, is commonly 18 but could be 24 if it is fine thread.
The bolts holding the shock to the shock tower cap

·
Banned
828 Posts
hi those are typically 5/16" x 24 which is fine thread, however they might be 5/16" x 18 which is std coarse thread. this can be for several reasons. i suggest you post a picture of what you have or just take one to the store with you and match it up. the correct one should go in easily.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I have never come across any fine thread 5/16" bolts on my car; all are coarse thread.

·
Banned
828 Posts
Hello VasiliBrown;

If you wanted to eventually buy replicas of the original fine thread bolts that came on your particular year of car, you can get them online from the mustang places for 5 bucks.

1965-1966 Mustang Upper Shock Mount Bolts | Mustangs Plus - Buy Mustang Parts Online

1965-1966 Mustang Upper Shock Mount Bolts

Now available from Scott Drake, a set of 4 1964-66 Mustang Top Shock Mount Bolts. These are the bolts that hold the top of the shock to the upper shock tower. Each bolt is 5/16" fine threads, zinc plated and Concours correct. NOTE: These bolts will not fit 1967-73 cars that use course threads.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I have never come across any fine thread 5/16" bolts on my car; all are coarse thread.
Hello. :) All of the bolts on your car are supposed to be course thread. The earlier cars had some fine thread bolts, though. On my car, a 64 1/2, the bolts holding the coil spring cover are 5/16-24, as is all of the shock and shock tower cap hardware, along with the bolts holding the horns onto the strut rod brackets. The 65/66 cars had mostly course thread stuff, but, the shock mounting hardware and shock tower cap stuff is supposed to be fine thread. A whole bunch of Ford stuff that wasn't Mustang from the 64 model year and earlier had fine thread bolts. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts