Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im looking into getting this little inline 6 200 prepared for a future v8 swap.( its not the original engine that matches car so value loss is not a issue with that) I'm not ready to go forth and do the whole 6 to 8 swap nor is my wallet. Being that my front shocks are in need of replacement (rear leafs and shocks are no more than 6 months old) and I am sure about swapping to a v8 , where do I start while keeping cost down but still getting a dependable front suspension. Springs , shocks, chassis improvements, roll bars, etc. I also like the idea of eliminating the shock towers. Roadster has a full one piece frame for mustangs that I like that is way out of budget. This is something that I daily drive and need it to function as such until I can get everything done. A 5 lug conversion and 4 wheel disk breaks is also on the list and if i can kill two birds with one stone, I would spend the bit extra. The shocks are not in desperate need of changing, but it does need to be done cause it hates corners. Just like some ideas to be tossed my way if anyone has any suggestions. [Possible, useful information]
[*]Manual steering
[*]auto transmission
[*]4 lug 15' rims
[*]stock (or replaced with what would be stock) engine bay (except carb, fog lights, points to petronx, and duel master cylinder)

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Hello. :) A lot would hinge on whether or not you are actually going to eliminate the shock towers. If you want to keep the car driveable every day, you could get new shocks and a bigger sway bar. This would help out on the cornering issues, and doesn't take very long to do. The thing that I did that seemed to help the most on cornering that costed almost nothing was putting an export brace on my car and keeping the original cowl braces on. The cowl braces go under the cowl and the export brace sits on top. That seemed to sandwich the cowl lip between some pretty solid stuff and eliminated a whole bunch of that slight flexing that a 50 year old car will inevitably do. Shocks, sway bar and export brace will generate a lot of bang for very few bucks. :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
A Mustang II setup will get rid of the shock towers, but won't substantially improve your handling capabilities. You'll have to open your wallet quite a bit more if you want better handling AND eliminate shock towers. You could install an RRS strut conversion system and notch the towers, but handling still wouldn't be greatly improved, since it is a strut system.

But until you get to that point, I like Wilwood for disc brake kits, especially if you plan on doing hard driving and repeated, hard stops. They sell a basic conversion that will run around $1400 for front and rear. Others here like CSRP. For shocks, if you want a comfy ride while having better-than-stock handling, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are good. If you want real handling improvements, I'd recommend Konis. Get the adjustable ones if you can. Yes, they're pricey, but next to tires, shocks are the most important thing you can put on your car for handling. A set of springs to match wouldn't hurt, either.

A set of traction bars are also a good thing to have to improve forward bite and make the rear more consistent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I did put KYB's in the back with the leaf spring replacement, what springs and shock combo would give me the greatest improvement and still hold up a v8 in the future

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would a 5lug conversion need to be done first. Cause i kinda want to have the rim choices and the extra strenght of a 5lug before I convert the breaks . Cause then ill just have to start over when I do convert the lugs.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
My suggestion is to always upgrade the chassis before the engine. Gotta be able to perform emergency maneuvers at the speeds you'll be able to reach. For springs and shocks, looks like CJ Pony parts sells some progressive rate springs, and KYB shocks would be fairly stiff for the 6, and would soften up for the 8. Really, there aren't that many performance options for Classic Mustang shocks that are just bolt-in. There's a few grades of Koni, and there's KYB. The rest are more set up for drag racing or just for looking cool. Koni STRs might be a good mid-range option between the full Koni Reds and the KYBs. I'll have to look into those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.