Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when replacing most of the interior in my '65 coupe, I tore the old glove box to pieces when I removed it in it's fragile state. I've got a new glove box liner, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it in. It's bigger than the hole for the glove box. I even took the door of the glove box off hoping the cardboard liner would then fit in. I can't come from behind because the heater box is in the way. Any suggestions on how to get it in there?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got mine in from the back and it didn't go without some compressing it to fit. Unplug the connector in front of the heater box and duct tape over the contacts. I didn't tape over them and bent one a little and scratched the back of the box. I came in from the left of the opening from the back, got it up into place and then moved it to the right into place. Others may have done it differently and have an easier way, but I got it in with only a few scratches from the contacts on the connector.

I found it more difficult to get the screws through the dash holes and started into the threaded holes, especially the left and right edges because the box wants to push away from the edge. But I did get all the screws in.

Bill

·
Registered
386 Posts
I put mine in by folding it a little and sliding it in from the front. It should have creases in it where you can fold it and then open it back up. I folded mine just enough to squeeze it in and had no problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Let me know how this works for you, I have a new glove box waiting to go in -- the old one is falling apart. Good luck!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
And of course, most of the screws are missing from mine ... anyone know the screw size and quantity I'll need?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
They go in from the front. They should have perforated lines on both sides. use them lines to compress the glove box - like 65BlueHorse said - and put it in from the front. They usually get torn up taking them out.

Far as screw size, order a set from your fav Mustang supplier.

I fought with my glove box 3-4 times...all equal to about 2 hours. Then finally seen the lines on sides. Went right in then.

I hated admitting that a cardboard box was smarter then me. :yup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Found a set -- thanks. I probably should have looked at what I had in the existing glove box when I ordered the replacement! I will strive to be smarter than the box. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wish the box was that easy to fold! I was fighting the dang thing all the way, got it in though, minus two screws and the light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts