Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ..

Just putting the finishing touches on a '65 I'm restoring with my father. Since the car didn't have the original engine/tranny when we got it, we cloned a GT which involved, among other things, changing the instrument panel from the idiot-light version to the all-gauge version. However, I can't get the new panel to mount ..

The four screw holes at the top line up, but the two at the bottom aren't even close. On the original dash, they screwed in straight forward, toward the front of the car, and that's how the mounts are. However, on the GT dash, they appear to screw in more from the bottom. I can't modify the mounts nearly enough to make this work. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did not have any problems when I made the same switch from lights to gauges. Are you using an aftermarket bezel? I don't know if that would make any difference, but I do know somne cheap aftermarket items sometimes do not have the same "fit" as original.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not an aftermarket panel; it's out of an actual '65 GT (which I discovered used different ammeters than a '66, and since I'd rewired the car to '66 under the assumption that it would make working with the new dash easier, made for another adventure .. however ..!)

The bezel is new, and aftermarket, but physically matches the old faded one I took off. Hmm ..

I was wondering if they used a different style of clip on the dash to accept screws coming in at a different angle or something ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts