Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I are rewiring his 1965 Mustang. We bought a new ignition switch fro Autozone. It is a Duralast LS416 switch and has 5 connection points. We bought a Painless Wiring harness, and the instructions show 4 connection points. We need help with the wiring of the new switch. I am including a picture of the new switch. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not like the one that was in before it. The person who had it before me put a universal one in. But i looked at an origional style ignition and it look identical to this one. We just dont know how it is supposed to be wired, like which prongs control what?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
you can buy two different types of repop ignition switches with different numbers of connecting points - it would be best to see what was in there originally.

The duralast won't last long, I would find an OEM or try something else a little higher quality. the cheaper ones break in half after a year or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been told to purchase a motorcraft switch, but it also has 4 prongs and a center post. I am going to attach the information I got from Duralast and also from Painless.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Sorry to double post but also look up 1966 mustang wiring diagram. The originals are there to let you know what goes to where.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
We have been told to purchase a motorcraft switch, but it also has 4 prongs and a center post. I am going to attach the information I got from Duralast and also from Painless.
The quality on the Duralast is poor - I went through two of them in two years (both broke in half) - then replaced them with a Motorcraft - they hold up much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We took the Duralast switch back and are getting a Motorcraft switch. From what I have seen online, they also appear to have 5 total connections. So are we still stuck in neutral?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts