Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on the forum in a bit but I just finished putting a 1970 302 into my 65 convertible. Everything has gone somewhat smoothly until now.
As soon as I start pouring water into the radiator water starts leaking out on the passenger side between the block and the oil pan, right about where the motor mount is??? There is no sign of water in the oil yet??? Water comes out of there at a very steady rate any ideas would be very appreciated. At first i though maybe a freeze plug but I can see it comes right out of the seem between block and pan. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
188 Posts
She's right, there's no water that low in the block... unless there's some serious damage to the block but you should've been able to notice that when putting it together. My first thought was a bad head gasket near one of the water jackets and its leaking down the side of the block. Update us when you find out what it is!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Exactly the problem I just had. Running off the edge of the pan right at the front of the starter. Only thing I could think of was a freeze plug. Went to the engine builder to ask if he could have screwed up. As expected, he said no. He was right!! Upper hose was leaking at the thermostat housing. Somehow it found a path I couldn't see and ran off as described. Hope that's all it is for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts