Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am just starting to restore a 1965 Coupe with Power Steering and Manual Drum Brakes. The car came without a master cylinder and the previous owner can't find the old one and that is where my question comes from.

When purchasing a new master cylinder for manual drum brakes, should there be a ring gasket that goes between the cylinder bowl and the cylinder cap? I can't find one to purchase for a 1965 Mustang with manual drum brakes. The cap that I have now, does have a rubber bladder-like item inside the cap but no ring gasket.

Any and all all guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Terrainpro

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hello Brett. Welcome to the site.

The rubber bladder in your cap should be large enough to fill the cap. The outer edge of that bladder acts as the rubber seal. You shouldn't need anything else. As the brake fluid level goes down the bladder tends to be sucked down with it. I suppose its to minimize the amount of air inside the reservoir. Less moist air would tend to limit the amount of water absorbed by the brake fluid. Water in the fluid is the reason you should change brake fluid every year or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts