Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't quite seen this issue in the forum. We have restored a 1965 Mustang coupe with a 289 engine and c-4 transmission. I replaced the neutral safety switch (nss) when we put her back together. We've been driving it for a couple weeks and everything has been fine. Today we tried to start the car, the engine would not turn over. After replacing a cracked solenoid (also new), we traced the issue to the nss. The backup light no longer works and there is no power to the solenoid, no matter where we put the gear shift. We bypassed the nss and the car starts fine.

My questions are:
Can a new nss get "out of adjustment"?
If it can't what can make it fail so quickly?
If it's out of adjustment, what's the best way to adjust it on the transmission in the car?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Haven't quite seen this issue in the forum. We have restored a 1965 Mustang coupe with a 289 engine and c-4 transmission. I replaced the neutral safety switch (nss) when we put her back together. We've been driving it for a couple weeks and everything has been fine. Today we tried to start the car, the engine would not turn over. After replacing a cracked solenoid (also new), we traced the issue to the nss. The backup light no longer works and there is no power to the solenoid, no matter where we put the gear shift. We bypassed the nss and the car starts fine.

My questions are:
Can a new nss get "out of adjustment"?
If it can't what can make it fail so quickly?
If it's out of adjustment, what's the best way to adjust it on the transmission in the car?
Hi,
I suppose, if the replacements are of inferior quality, they can go bad in a short period. If you installed it originally, then you know there is a prescribed way that involves a specific size drill bit and a bit of fiddling at the transmission attachment point. Your shop manual has the routine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi there, you can check the switch by removing it from the trans and turning it all the way back (Parking position) and try to start the engine, if it doesn't turn over, then you got a faulty switch. If it does turn over then is just a matter of aligne it to the right position on the trans.
Hope this helps:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Ken, so you think it is just out of alignment?

Hi,
The other poster mad e a good point on how to test it. If the test mentioned by the recent prove positive, then yes, it may just be the alignment was not performed correctly. If you don't have a shop manual, I'm sue it's there in La-La land.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken & Armondo, thanks for the advice. Tested the switch yesterday. It was the switch and not the alignment. The car would not start nor the brake lights come on at any position. I saw on the site where I bought the NSS that a couple of reviewers gave this NSS 1 star and that if failed soon after installation. I hope it's not too late to get my money back :nogrinner

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hope you got your money back, most stores have a "NO REFOUNDS/RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL PARTS" sign right next to the bad/low quality parts shelf :nono:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NSS Working

We replaced the NSS and the car is working fine. I did not get my money back, but since I am such a good customer with CJ Pony they are going to give me credit for the item. :smilie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts