Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Could be lots of things. Let's start with the basics. Do the tail lights go on when the headlights are on? Have you checked the bulbs? Have you tried re-seating the socket? Did they work before and suddenly stop?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have similer problem, no break lights, but they light up when I turn my lights on.

·
Registered
831 Posts
First thing is to familiarize yourself with these: 1965 Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams

Do you own a muti-meter? If not, buy one since it will pay for itself with this job alone.

Use the multi-meter to determine if you have power on one side of the brake light switch. If you do, then the problem is at the lights themselves most likely. Most of the time, it is a bad ground.

Do your rear turnsignals work? Remember, the turn signals are just the brake lights flashing. If they work, then you can focus on the brake light switch.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If the tail lights light up when you turn the headlights on then it shouldn't be a major wiring issue.

Underneath the dash, find the arm that your brake pedal is connected to. Follow this up until you come to the large pin that holds the pushrod from the brake master cylinder. There should be a brake light switch connected to that large pin. The pin should have the master cylinder pushrod on it first, then a spacer, then the brake light switch with an electrical connection attached to it, and then a cotter pin. Make sure the wire connection with the brake light switch is tight.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For what it is worth, I have the problem of my brakelights going out from time to time. Usually it is along with the horn and/or turn signals. Turned out it was my turn signal switch in the column which all of these circuits go through. Then the wire connector at the bottom of the column would act up. I had to jiggle it around to make sure all of the individual pins would line up. Oh, I had to jiggle the brake switch on the brake pedal that Ted mentions a little as well.

Hell, I'm 45 years old now too and my parts don't work like they used to either.

·
Registered
351 Posts
yea my turn signals work perfect, just the brakes dont light up with peddle pressed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just installed a new contact/signal return switch, and had the same problem, if you recently worked near/on your steering column, theny you may have disturbed this unit, mine wasnt pushed on all the way. i fixed the problem by tightning the switch,
this switch functions so that like said in a previous reply, it tells the brake light to blink when that signal is on while pressing the brake.
i was a little concern as well easy fix, by the way you can use tester at the switch on the pedal, mine in white, and if you get power on both sides when depressed then, im sure its that contact under the steering wheel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone sooner. I've been working the past week and havent found the time to be online :( Thank you to all those who have replied. My issue however is with the taillights themselves i believe. Both signal lites work and brake lights work perfect. Just no taillights. they used to work, not sure what happened.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
solution

Symptoms: No tailights at first. Then horn, brake lights and interior lights all quit working consecutively. Me and my dad tore apart the whole electrical system looking for what might be the cause. Found lots of small issues )I.e spliced wires and wires twisted together. In the end it ended up that the headlight switch had gone bad! Apparently alomost all of the vehicles electrical wiring runs thru the headlight switch and if that quits working it becomes a major problem. So simple solution after weeks of work haha. As far as my backup lights never working its becuz they were never hooked up! lmao! The neutral safety switch (backup switch) is completely missing from the bottom side of my shifter! Thanks for the diagrams! They helped me to label all of the connections :yelpleased:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts