Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have searched the forum and did not find my exact issue.

Some months ago I changed out the 44 year old wiring as I was afraid it would eventually burn my car don. It took a week and all was working properly.

Initial symptoms:
One morning some weeks after installation. I drove with my lights on and the dashlights and headlights dimmed temporarily. I smelled something burning, but all went away and the symptoms never reappeared. Now this is never a good sign, but I winged it and I did not disassembled my dash to have a look.

Final result:
When driving to a carshow with 2 cars, my wife told me that my brakelights were not working at all. all other electrics work fine.

My conclusion:
Without taking the car apart...yet, I think that something must have been miswired or shorted near the light switch. Would it cause a short if I swapped the 2 wires coming from the stoplight switch? (1 leads to the light switch the other to the signal switch? Since the taillights are still working, I think that the wire from Stoplight switch to turn signal switch is fried.

If there is someone out there, who has had this issue and/or has the answer, your name will end up on my personal/virtual wall of fame.

Anyway, your thoughts would be VERY welcome

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh!! It just closes a circuit. Indeed that would not matter. I will have to open her up and do some metering I think. I am actually quite curious now what has caused the short to start with. Thanks Veronica.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Start from the back and work your way forward. Test the wires in the back to see if they're getting current.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) On that particular circuit it's easier to kind of start in the middle and work your way out. :) I would start by checking the brake light switch itself. It could very easily be that the brake lights not working isn't related to the incident with the burning smell. Just unplug the brake light switch and connect the two wires by sticking an appropriately bent up paper clip in the ends of the two wires. If the brake lights come on, replace the switch. If they don't, then check both wires for power. If neither has power, the problem is either the wire coming from the headlight switch to the brake light switch, the headlight switch connector, or the headlight switch itself. A principle that I live by is to fix what I know is broke first. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Veronica. Well what can I say. Your trick worked, including your paperclip technology!

I am glad I started with the switch as it was indeed fried. I discovered that an imitation switch had been installed previously which looks less robust. I replaced it with an authentic Ford part (from John's Mustang in Houston). One $15 switch and 15 minutes work and I am back on the road, enjoying a pleasant day on a Houston Highway.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE: you do not have to pull the brakerod from the pedal axis, as the switch is slotted on one side (look at the drawings carefully). Just undo the clip and remove the plastic washer and remove the switch thats all.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Glad you got it all sorted out. :) John doesn't like me very much. He thinks that I'm too picky and that I think his people are all stupid and lazy. He had a guy named David that worked there for years that knew what he was doing, but, that guy apparently went on to bigger and better things. Now all he has are people that are stupid and lazy. :gringreen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Based on the information and direction Veronica gave me, i'd say Veronica knows her stuff and thinks smarter and works on issues better than anyone I or my husband have dealt with. That is saying alot because my husband has been dealing with cars over 30 years and early mustangs are his hobbie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts