Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 1965 mustang down the highway earlier this morning and decided to put it in overdrive, when i did so the engine's RPM went way up and my speed was about the same. It would stilll drive, but overdrive is not supposed to be a "gas guzzler". I don't know what's going on if someone has any ideas, they would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What transmission do you have? I'm no tranny expert, but anyone who is will need to know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
it may be overheating. if so it will drop out of overdrive, and sometimes even down to 2nd.

try putting a temperature guage on it. ideally, you'd weld a bung into to pan for the sending unit, but you can get by just using a tee fitting for the sending unit into the hard line coming from the tranny into the radiator (not the return line back w/cooled fluid - you want to know the un-cooled temp).

if that line clogs it will overheat and warp the steel clutch plates

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I was driving my 1965 mustang down the highway earlier this morning and decided to put it in overdrive, when i did so the engine's RPM went way up and my speed was about the same. It would stilll drive, but overdrive is not supposed to be a "gas guzzler". I don't know what's going on if someone has any ideas, they would be most appreciated.
are you sure it is an overdrive transmission? no offense intended but if it is a stock 65 it will have a c-4 cruisomatic transmission and there is no overdrive. If someone has swapped in an AOD then we can start diagnostics. first thing to do is check the fluid level. then find out what kind of transmission it is. then find out if it has had the transmission filter changed in a while. I am no transmission expert by any shake of the imagination either, but those things don't require an expert.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
A aod if the tv cable is not adjusted right it won't go in overdrive and will kill the trans fast also.Did you do the trans swap or was it in the car when you bought it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.