Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side of my 1965 Mustang always leaks whenever it rains or when I wash the car. I looked at it when it was raining and it cam from where the heat vent is/glove compartment area. Please help me solve this problem I don't want her to rust and have to buy a new carpet

·
Registered
743 Posts
It sounds like your cowl tank is rusted through to the point that water is coming in. When water gets in the grille (between hood and windshield), it should be diverted out and separated from incoming air by the "top hat" vent collars. Lots of old Mustangs have rust in this area, and they leak. There are a few solutions:

1: Get a plexiglas cover that seals off the grille, keeping water and air out.

2: Plastic repair top hats that epoxy in place from the underside.

3: Repair the cowl's rusted metal with new pieces.

#1&#2 are both stopgap measures. They are best of someone that has a Mustang they don't feel like tearing apart at the moment. If this is you, then do one of those repairs. #1 is the easiest, and the panel is available from Mustang vendors for about $30 or less.

#3 is the big dog, whole hog way to fix it, and it is what you really should do in the long run to truly fix your car. Do this when you tear into the car, as it's definitely invasive surgery. Just google "66 mustang cowl tank repair" to get an idea.

Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
ouch

I would have to agree with Mike on this one. cowl replacement is one of the most expensive repairs on a mustang but if your gonna keep it long term it is worth the cost just find a good body shop that has done this repair before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It does sound like a hole rusted through your cowl. As the first guys have mentioned, this is a common, and pretty major problem that you need to fix. If you don't, this is one of those issues that will rust your mustang from the "inside out"...and over time can cause significant damage.

I'd recommend getting a flashlight and looking down into the vents on to see if you can determine how extensive the damage is. Also put the light down under the dash and see if you can see it through the vents.

If you've got significant rusting, this is a fix worth doing...but you'll need to have someone with significant welding experience cut the rusted parts out and fabricate patch panels.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts