Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I want a rear sway bar, I've got a 1 inch sway bar up front, subframe connectors, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, 1 inch lowering springs (620# up front and lowering leaf springs in the back), poly bushings, etc, but I am unsure about a few things: stiffness, are they worth it, benefits, drawbacks (if any). I can't seem to get definitive answers from other forums and want some insight. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Nice set-up BTW.....Back in the day for street it was the opinion the rear sway bar limited the chassis flew too much to the point handling was actually decreased...and with the bias ply tires, they were probably right. I previously road raced these cars in the late 70's and have the same set-up as you do for my "toy".....with the addition of an adjustable sway bar (and I'm running 60 series tires). The ride is fine...if I were running shorter than 50 series, probably would not run the rear sway bar as the ride would be too stiff for street IMHO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! So I've got 55 tires up front and 60 in the back for a slight rake, do you think a rear bar is a good idea for me eventually or is it not worth it even then? Nice stang btw.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you just plan on driving it casually then sure spend the money if you are so inclined. Now if you plan on doing fun stuff like autocross then NO you do not want one on there. Rear sway bars encourage oversteer and violently under certain circumstances. I used one for the first couple of years as it was on the car when I bought it. Came across several threads where people said not to use them. I took mine off and noticed the difference the next day at an autocross. The rear end stayed planted far better than it had before.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The downside is that when the body rolls a rear bar can actually lift the inside rear wheel off the road making for instant oversteer and possibly a spin.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you just plan on driving it casually then sure spend the money if you are so inclined. Now if you plan on doing fun stuff like autocross then NO you do not want one on there. Rear sway bars encourage oversteer and violently under certain circumstances. I used one for the first couple of years as it was on the car when I bought it. Came across several threads where people said not to use them. I took mine off and noticed the difference the next day at an autocross. The rear end stayed planted far better than it had before.
Agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, it's not going to be doing anything serious (real road racing/auto cross/drag). It is mostly driven on the weekends, once or twice a week, sometimes canyon driving fun but mostly boulevard and freeway cruising.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I put one on years ago. I never did any road racing just street driving and never really noticed much difference at all. I think it probably was a waste of money in retrospect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think I kind of shied away from doing that upgrade...maybe sometime down the line after my rear end, motor, etc builds are all done.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Thanks for the response! So I've got 55 tires up front and 60 in the back for a slight rake, do you think a rear bar is a good idea for me eventually or is it not worth it even then? Nice stang btw.
Thanks back at ya!

Now just another IMHO....these cars because of their basic core design are better muscled through a corner than driven.......let me explain a little better- hopefully.....with my uncles porsche, he had to drive the car through the corner because of the light front end....he could very/more easily slide if he throttled it through where with the mustang, the lighter rear end was the issue.....as long as we/I kept the rear aligned within 6" of the front through the corner, while the tires & rear end was "barking" a tad, when exiting the turn, just past the apex of the corner, full throttle (rolled on), traction/stablity was never a issue....and 300+ hp & 350+ lbs torque at 70+ mph in a corner can make for a lot of tire/chassis "barking"!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts