Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to this site so I will introduce myself and give you all some history about me. I am a 19yr old student at Lincoln College of Technology in Indianapolis, IN. I graduate in late August. I have been working on cars since I was 12 with my dad. My father and I have already restored an MG midget. I have owned a couple tuner cars and now I have been shocked by my gf by her giving me a 65 mustang. My first mustang and I have ran into an issue.

Ok this may be a stupid question but is there any kind of a crossmember swap or anything that I can do to my 65 to eliminate the shock towers? It have the i6 but I have a 351m in my garge I want to put in it but the shocktowers are in my way. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've looked on other forums and on here and cant seem to find any threads that really help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i'm not sure on that but man you got yourself one heck of a woman to give ya a gift like that :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
765 Posts
You don't have to remove the shock towers to put a 351 in either a 65 or 66 - people do it all the time. Yes, it is a little tighter in the engine bay, but doable. A 351 is essentially a 289 with a taller deck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know a standard 351windsor and cleveland will fit but I have a modified. If it will fit its not enough room for me lol im a picky guy. Is there any way possible to eliminate them?

Yea she is one hell of a woman. I love her very very much!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I believe most people doing a shock tower delete are doing a coil over suspension/mustang II swap when they do that, that way there's still a way to bolt in suspension in the front. Otherwise with the shock tower delete you won't have any place for the upper control arms/coils/shocks to bolt to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I know this im been working on and modifying vehicles for a few years now. I just havnt ever really delt with any mustangs of this era so I was wondering exactly what I need to do the swap. What year front end do I need to change it? I understand its a lot of work but idc.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Eh...not sure of the years people use for this mustang II swap. Don't quote me on this but I think there might be kits for this. Just google "mustang II swap" and read about the swap which will probably also come up with suppliers for this swap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A mustang II front end is what you will need for this. The coilover or spring n shock fit bewteen the upper and lower control arms. This is not a bolt on so make sure your welding and welder is up to par. Double check all your measurements to make sure it will align straight when all done. Your also going to have to swap out the 7.5 inch rear for either an 8 or 9 inch. The front suspension and spindals will ok since your already swapping them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Duke

·
Registered
94 Posts
A mustang II front end is what you will need for this. The coilover or spring n shock fit bewteen the upper and lower control arms. This is not a bolt on so make sure your welding and welder is up to par. Double check all your measurements to make sure it will align straight when all done. Your also going to have to swap out the 7.5 inch rear for either an 8 or 9 inch. The front suspension and spindals will ok since your already swapping them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Duke

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you duke65kode that is what i was wondering. I understand its not a bolt in swap but im curious to what exactly gets removed and welded back in. I cant find any other info about it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The shock tower and related motor mounting hardware go. ( I'm watching a n "in process" job on a 70 Maverick) The problem you're going to have with a MII front suspension is you'll need a rear sump pan&pick up for your modified....check on 4 wheel drive trucks. Somewhere around 1979. Don't let anyone kid you, the 351M is bigger than any other 351 and it ISN"T the boat anchor they say it is ( laugh at 535hp:bigthumbsup). While you're at it drop a 400 crank in it with some Aussie heads. Pistons? have your local machine shop bush the small end of the rods for 351C pistons- same compression height) As you're aware it has the belhousing pattern of a 429/460. Best of luck

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The 351M is taller than the 351C. The deck height may be similar to the 351W - I don't have the specs at hand.
To have any room to change plugs and get headers in the engine compartment you will need to have a coil over suspension of one kind or another.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
351m deck height is 10.2 cleveland is 9.2 the windsor is 9.5.Yeah the m can make power but its not cheap and no factory efi to use.535hp isn't that high anymore there is 302s making that and plus some.I wouldn't use a mustang 2 kit after i drove a few cars with them.They are great for a street rod but in a early mustang it lacks handling the coils are short.I would sell the m and build a stroker small block its cheaper and bolts right in.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
In defense of my last post. Yah I've seen 1000+ hp on the street. Whoo-dee-doo! 535 is decent for ANY engine. Of course the more money one throws at the motor the more power one is hoping to get. The point I made is the gentleman is looking at the 351M and he can do it cheaply. You don't have to get aluminum heads, exotic rods and cranks, power adders, EFI (?) etc. I know about the smallblocks I've got every model they made in my garage( including the Boss 302 in my 65).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea i know the 351m is bigger for a fact my uncle has a windsor and my modified is bigger. I dont plan on going efi anyhow so im not worried about having that. I think I found a cobra 302 I may use instead. My roomate is big into fox bodies and he has it laying around disassembled. This car is just going to be a cruiser its not going to get pounded on to hard.

Is there a disc brake conversion that I can do without doing the MII swap? I work at an auto parts store so I have access to all kinds of parts cheap.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You can get oem looking disc for around 600 up if you know where to look at.If you don't mind using a 17 inch rim mustangsteve.com has brackets to use the 94 up cobra brakes or the 05 gt brakes which a tiny bit smaller not much.Of look around sometimes you can find 70-73 mustang/cougar disc spindles cheap i got mine for 50 bucks at a swap meet.I'm kinda a speed junkie owned a few imports seeing a 2.0 making 500hp kinda means it seem like a v8 with that much is kinda low and nothing.If its really a cobra 302 use it its a roller block and has the 351w firing order which runs smoother to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok koul that will work for me. Well i havnt looked at it or anything. My roomate is building a big block fox body and got this engine on trade for his xbox 360 and it is disassembled and asked if i wanted it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts