Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i had to remove my oil pan and had to remove the starter to get to it. while i was under there i went ahead and replaced the starter. anyways got everything put back together put some oil in when i tried to start the car sounded like the battery was almost dead just cranked over. smoke started coming up from the starter. the battery cable touched the housing of the starter and kind of welded together. i took the cable off re arranged it so it wouldnt touch the housing. now i get a rattling from my starter solenoid. anyways when it comes to smoking parts im hesitant to move foward. how do i get my car started again

·
Registered
131 Posts
The "hot" lead to the starter was touching the starter housing and went straight to ground through the starter body when you tried to start the car. .boB is right...you almost certainly toasted your starter at the very least. You also need to check your starter relay on the passenger side fender apron right behind the battery (your "hot" wire to your starter comes straight from this). You may have fried it as well. Here are pictures of the relay ( on the car and off). Check for any other wiring damage. A "dead short" like this can dork up a lot of things you wouldn't expect. Give your wiring a good once over.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

ok so starters still good and solenoid good too. bad drained when they touched. So im all good for now on to the next problem.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'd still go with Montana's advice. Check the wiring and make sure that there is a good ground strap between the engine and the body.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) This ^ is some very good advice. :) You might not have assassinated anything outright, but that event had to be the beginning of the end for something.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.