Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1965 Mustang with a 302 engine. It originally was automatic or still is I should say as of now. My question is I've been reading a lot of articles saying that the best T-5 transmission to use would be out of an 87-93 Mustang. I got my hands on a 1995 Mustang T-5 transmission, can I use that transmission on my car? I am also going to do the clutch cable conversion from Ron Morris Performance (which on their site they say to use a bellhousing from an 87-93 mustang) So now I gotta get my hands on a 87-93 bellhousing. Also am I going to have to change the input shaft with one from an 87-93 Mustang or can I use the current one because I've read that its longer on a 94-95 and why does it matter? sorry I'm an amateur, Thanks in advance for your help.

Ron Morris Performance: Clutch Cable Conversion Kit, 1965-66 Mustang

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am just finishing the same project on a 65 /289 Fastback. I spent consideral time looking for a good Bellhousing and went with Quicktime Bellhousing. Great Torgue. Yes they are expensive but it worked out great. I went to Modern Drive Line for the clutch cable and set up. You can get your shaft cut to your lenghth locally to save a little money. I went to Steeda to get a shifter that looks awesome and fits the T5 perfectly. I spent 2 months researching and these are by far the best products you can get. I went with the HIPO manifolds so everything can fit nicely with stock H-pipes to the mufflers.
Good Luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
if your going with the cable clutch, you need to take special consideration that long headers will be to close to the route the cable passes through. sometimes causing it to melt and the cable wnot work anymore. i personally pieced out my own hydraulic clutch assembly and spent the same amount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your going with the cable clutch, you need to take special consideration that long headers will be to close to the route the cable passes through. sometimes causing it to melt and the cable wnot work anymore. i personally pieced out my own hydraulic clutch assembly and spent the same amount.
If I go with the hydraulic clutch setup can I keep the 95 bellhousing or do i still need to get my hands on a 87-93 bellhousing. Because the main reason of me getting a 87-93 bellhousing was because the ron morris clutch cable states that a 87-93 bellhousing is needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can tell you positively the 95 T-5 will be 1/2 to long to bolt up to the 93 or older bell housing. Two trips to Dallas for me to find this out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
the bolt pattern for the 87-93 bellhousing should be similar to the '95, the '95 mustang was the last year the 5.0L was offered and the block is the same as the 80's, hence a similar bolt pattern between the two bellhousings

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I go with the hydraulic clutch setup can I keep the 95 bellhousing or do i still need to get my hands on a 87-93 bellhousing. Because the main reason of me getting a 87-93 bellhousing was because the ron morris clutch cable states that a 87-93 bellhousing is needed.
Yes, you can keep your 95 Bell with the hydro setup. The reason RM calls for 93 and older Bell is because the cable for that kit is too short for the 94/95 Bell.

the bolt pattern for the 87-93 bellhousing should be similar to the '95, the '95 mustang was the last year the 5.0L was offered and the block is the same as the 80's, hence a similar bolt pattern between the two bellhousings
But...the difference between the two is the depth.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
1. the 94/95 trans has an input shaft that is about 3/4 of an inch longer than the fox one. YOU CANNOT CUT THIS SHAFT DOWN. You can buy a new fox or used fox shaft and easily swap it out. Try hanlonmotorsports.com or astroperformance.com for a new 87-93 fox input shaft.

2. 85+ t5's are all world class, 85-89 are all the same, 90+ are all the same rating with the exception of the cobra trans, which are rated maybe 15 torque pounds higher.

3. When you change to the fox input shaft, you'll need the fox bell. You can't swap to the fox bell without swapping the shaft too.

4. I find way more complications and cost than what it's worth to convert to hydraulic. Too much $$, and too many parts. the pedal effort often can be higher, and is too neutral. A good clutch cable gives you a direct mechanical linkage to the clutch, and gives you a much better feel and better reliability.

5. You can have your header tube relocated by a competant exhaust shop to clear the clutch cable at the bell. I did this, cost me $100.

6. I HIGHLY suggest the mustangsteve clutch cable setup, it's a lot better, and uses a clutch cable that can be bought cheapely anywhere. His setup has less moving part at the pedal assembly and won't wear out, unlike the ron morris setup. If you're running longtubes, don't use the fox clutch cable, use the 96+ adjustable mustang clutch cable with the mustangsteve clutch quadrant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts