Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I am replacing the vacuum advance line from the vacuum advance unit on my Load o Matic Distributor to my carburetor. I figured it'd be a simple installation, but the new steel vacuum line that I received has fittings on the ends that just slide off. The ends of the vacuum lines aren't flared so I don't know how to keep them in place. I tried to just screw them into the vacuum advance unit, anyways, in hopes that they would miraculously stay in place and when I did it, the ends of the fittings do seem to taper in a bit, but they didn't catch onto the metal line, so now the line still slips out of the fitting and I can't undo the taper that was caused so I think I may need new fittings.

I'm ready to give up on this metal vacuum line, and go with a Vacuum Advance Adapter that will provide a nipple coming out of the Vacuum unit as opposed to a threaded opening. I figure I can then just buy the appropriate size hose and run a rubber hose to the carburetor as opposed to a metal line.

Has anyone done this before. It seems easy enough. I just want to make sure that the rubber hose and adapters will be just as good as the metal lines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You have to use a "Load-o-matic" advance unit. I don't know if they come with a hose nipple or not but as I remember (and it has been a long time) they use a tapered nut on the tube that has to be compressed onto the line as you connect it. Hold the line in as far as it will go as you tighten the nut and it will swage onto the line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re:

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I kind of figured that the screw nut is meant to taper and lock it into place to the steel vacuum line, but I was unable to get them to stay put on both ends. And now it seems like those screw nuts are useless because they've been tapered. I don't want to buy another vacuum line just to mess up again, so I'd rather go the adapter and vacuum hose route which seems a little easier. I just want to make sure the rubber hose will be just as good as the steel vacuum line.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
As long as it is a vacuum hose it will be fine.
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.