Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten around to getting my mustang driveable, but whenever I put it into drive or reverse, I get a vibration, which gets louder as you get faster. Wondering what the issue could be. It has a "homemade" dip stick, could there be too little transmission fluid? Also, when I first swapped out the universal joints, the U-joints that were recommended for the car did not match the current one on the car, I did eventually find the ones that matched the existing ones, but could they have been replaced originally with the wrong U-joints, and I put in the wrong U-joints again, and would that cause the problem? Any help would be much appreciated.

Doug

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,807 Posts
Where does the vibration seem to come from?
When you say louder I take it that you mean worse/harder?
Is the engine, trans, and axle original? What are they(200, 289, 302, 351, C4, AOD, 8", 9", etc)?
Why don't you have a proper dipstick? I'm sure there are options in the aftermarket for a reproduction, universal, or a used original.
Low fluid will not really cause vibration. It'll just make the trans slip and overheat.
U-joints generally either fit or they don't. There are really only a few common sizes for popular applications. If you reassembled the yoke end of the driveshaft upside down then maybe it's out of balance now. Maybe the driveshaft itself is just out of balance or not right for the car. See if you can find any Ford #s on it.
If you believe that it's the driveshaft then you might consider taking it out and bring it to a driveline shop to have it checked and balanced.

·
Hands
347 Posts
Where does the vibration seem to come from?
When you say louder I take it that you mean worse/harder?
Is the engine, trans, and axle original? What are they(200, 289, 302, 351, C4, AOD, 8", 9", etc)?
Why don't you have a proper dipstick? I'm sure there are options in the aftermarket for a reproduction, universal, or a used original.
Low fluid will not really cause vibration. It'll just make the trans slip and overheat.
U-joints generally either fit or they don't. There are really only a few common sizes for popular applications. If you reassembled the yoke end of the driveshaft upside down then maybe it's out of balance now. Maybe the driveshaft itself is just out of balance or not right for the car. See if you can find any Ford #s on it.
If you believe that it's the driveshaft then you might consider taking it out and bring it to a driveline shop to have it checked and balanced.
Feeling vibration in REVERSE also is very suspect. How fast can you go in reverse? Driveline could be very wobbly and not be felt in reverse. I'm thinking something else.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It really could be one of a number of issues.
Start with the tyres first and see if they are out of round or have a nail or screw in them.
Then move on to transmission and check for play in driveshaft.
Check the last thing you replaced on the car and go from there.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Good advice above. If the car had been sitting a VERY long time, the tires might have flat spots. It is hard to install the wrong size U-joints, these cars the difference in sizes is 1/8". But if someone had changed out the rear axle or center section that would explain why the 'proper' ones didn't fit. You also need to look at the angles where each U-joint bends. They both need to be the same, meaning the trans and rear axle yoke need to be parallel. Check to see if the driveshaft is hitting something. I would pull all the tires and check the brakes. Something may have broken, come loose, or leaked. Just too many things it could be. Need all the specs on your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You say that the vibration starts when the transmission is put in drive or reverse. Are you still sitting still in gear with your foot on the brake when it starts? Makes a big difference in the diagnostics. If the U joints were bad enough to cause an ultra low speed vibration then they are ready to self destruct.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all of your replies. So the vibration occurs even when the car is sitting still, so I know it isn't the tires. After seeing the last post about the clutches/bands going bad, I put the car up on jacks and put it in gear and could hear a whining(which I didn't hear before). I'm assuming this is a good indication that the transmission needs some work, and may solve both the whining and vibration. From looking at the marks on the transmission(C6AP-&D027-C), it looks like it is a C4 transmission. What skill level is needed to rebuild this myself? And what kind of time would it take?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whining is most often the pump going bad. Usually reverse and first begin to go bad first and can be felt as a sort of shuddering feel when reversing and then first will shudder a bit from worn clutches. You can do it yourself however there are a lot of parts, and they have to go back correctly. Even the retaining rings and washers. How does the fluid smell and is it dark in color. Take a picture of every single step of disassembly and keep all the items of each step) Fasteners, washers, clips, seals etc labeled in separate marked baggies or containers. This will not be just a weekend job for sure. If you have a good transmission shop it may be your best bet to have them rebuild it, you get a warranty that way and be cheaper on you. If you still want to tackle it yourself, I admire the tenacity; but again, the first time will be time consuming and aggravating. There are manuals that will coach you, just remember they don't have great pictures and a good amount of the info takes liberty that a person already has a working knowledge of the process.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Video

The above is a video I took shifting into reverse, neutral, drive and back into reverse. You can hear all the sounds its making. Let me know if the link actually works for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The above is a video I took shifting into reverse, neutral, drive and back into reverse. You can hear all the sounds its making. Let me know if the link actually works for you.
It worked after download.
For me, I'd go ahead and pull that transmission out.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It worked after download.
For me, I'd go ahead and pull that transmission out.
I've been looking at different rebuild kits, some of the reviews on them say they don't come with all of the bands, would you recommend I buy one of the kits and then any additional bands as well? Would that be enough?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been looking at different rebuild kits, some of the reviews on them say they don't come with all of the bands, would you recommend I buy one of the kits and then any additional bands as well? Would that be enough?
Jegs has the kit including the bands Part Number: 555-62108

1 - 16 of 16 Posts