Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new here and just got my first 1965 Mustang. I have already done some fun work on it and had a question about turn signals before I go in and trace wiring, just in case it's something easier or more complicated than I think.

The turn signal arm works great as does the turn signal indicator. When the left turn signal is activated, the front light works fine however the rear light does not. Now when the right turn signal is activated, the front light works fine however both rear lights flash (like hazard light). The brake lights work fine as well as when I have the lights on at night. Thanks and look forward to being a great member here.

To illustrate, looking at the car from the top (* flashing, x not flashing)

Left Turn Signal

* x
x x

Right Turn Signal

x *

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the site. This problem can be pretty simple. Start by verifying you have the correct two pole light bulbs. If you have the correct bulbs proceed to cleaning the bulb sockets real good and make sure you have a good fit on the bulbs. Corrosion in the sockets will interfere with the bulb ground and that can cause all kinds of weird electrical reactions. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bryonly, I did all those tips and still no dice, even with new bulbs.

I tried taking a volt meter to it and sure enough, it reads the exact same way as it is reacting. So I am guessing it is coming from some point from the turn signal arm to the actual rear bulbs. It's just strange that the front signals have zero problems.

Also, I did notice that when I moved around the wire connector that comes from the steering column to another connector that goes to all the turn signals that at one point no blinking at all would happen in the rear (front still worked though).

Any more advice that you can offer me?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You have narrowed down the problem area yourself! Great! With a car that is 47 years old, alot of wear occurs in the turn signal area. You will probably have to slowly rebuild the worn out mechanism for the turn signal in the column. Take your time and find the worn culpret. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts