Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I remove a clip and replace it without taking out the windshield? I inherited the car and the trim has always looked like this. Upper driver side corner. The mechanic said the clips are screwed in on this year and the windshield will need to be removed. Just want some opinions. Thanks
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,910 Posts

· Registered
2,204 Posts
The above videos give some good info. I will add that the trim has a bend with a lip bent in it. The trim slides between the car and clip and a bend in the clip catches on the trim and holds it in place. There is a special tool about 10" long with a hook at the end. The idea is to slip the tool under the outside exposed portion of the trim, and catch the point of the hook under the clip, then pull out just enough to release the trim from the clip. NPD sells the tool, #C-T3, for about $8. They also are the one company that has just about every part for a Mustang.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cobrajet67

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First the molding needs to be gently removed before assessing what the issue is.
1965 did have screw in clips and yes you do need to remove the windshield to actually replace them. However, perhaps the clip isn't rusted out and is just bent or maybe the molding just isn't aligned or is bent a little where it contacts the clip.
Mustang Window Molding Clips 1964-1973 - YouTube
Windshield | 1965-1968 Mustang - YouTube
I removed the trim a bit but didn’t take it completely off. I can see the clip and the screw, it’s not rusted but in those videos I see the clips practically rest against the the top of the body, where mine had a larger gap, not sure how I would bend it back in position, it would suck if I have to remove the window for the one clip, I’ll have to look into it more

· Tech Advisor
5,910 Posts
Maybe the original hole was stripped out and instead of welding it and redrilling in the same spot they redrilled it in an incorrect location. Take the top trim off completely and compare the clip location to the others for the top trim.
You won't be able to bend it if it's location is off from where it should be. I had meant that if it was bent during installation that it might be able to be bent back into proper shape.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the original hole was stripped out and instead of welding it and redrilling in the same spot they redrilled it in an incorrect location. Take the top trim off completely and compare the clip location to the others for the top trim.
You won't be able to bend it if it's location is off from where it should be. I had meant that if it was bent during installation that it might be able to be bent back into proper shape.
I was able to pop up the chrome a bit to remove the screw and the clip. The chrome I think is original. Is there a difference in the 65 clips I can order aftermarket at say cjpony? I thought I read somewhere that aftermarket clips won’t work if the chrome is original.

· Tech Advisor
5,910 Posts
Idk where you thought that you read that but that's not accurate at least not with the CJ Pony clips. The clips will work with original or repro trim. If anything, the repro trim would be questionable to work with the clips since repro trim would not be quite the same quality or exactness as the original trim. The clips are only made slightly thicker to be more durable but are otherwise exactly the same. The minute amount of thicker gauge metal will be almost unmeasurable and will not affect anything at all.
Recent reviews of the clips make no mention of there being any problems. Mustang Window Molding Clip Screw Type Set 1965 I CJ Pony Parts
As I said earlier, take the top trim off completely and compare the clip location to the others for the top trim. This will make sure that you have the clip at the right distance from the edge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts