Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks i am new to the post i have a 65 mustang straight 6 .. it has been sitting for a little while now i think i have a real problem starting it up ..
+first when the ignition will keep trying to turn the car over even with the key OUT ..
+ second a couple weeks ago i jumped started it and it was fine for a little while.. but the last few times i tried the wire coming from the battery to the solenoid turns red hot .. hot enough to make the wire cover smoke..?? any recommendations on any of those issues?? thank you very much
Mgold

·
Registered
574 Posts
Welcome to AFM! There are lots of helpful and knowledgeable folks here. Some are even both;)!

I'd start by checking to make sure your solenoid is making solid contact with the body. When mine became loose I experienced the same symptoms. Next, I'd replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I agree with cuddyk about the solonoid needing to be replaced, the starter can be drawing too much current and causing the wire to smoke, this can be caused by bad starter, something causing the engine to drag (like coolant in a cylinder, put a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft and see how hard it is to turn the engine over, a misfiring cylinder or points and condensor bad, or too much initial ignition timing can cause it too be hard to start, or rust in the cylinder walls, etc. ALso cranking an engine too much can overheat the starter and ruin it, and cause the wires to the solonoid and starter to get really hot, and even smoke, I forget the actual rule but I think it is about 15 seconds of cranking, then three minutes to cool. Starters are for intermittent duty only. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad starter solenoid. They are a high failure rate item, and I have had them fail in a variety of ways. If it's not the solenoid, you are probably looking at a bad ignition switch. A bad starter will not cause the car to try to keep starting with the ignition off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much folks for helping me out with this situation. i appreciate it very much ...
sincerely
Mcduff

Break the monotony of those "New car drivers" lives by keeping those classic ponies on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello folks i have had some time to work on the car today. i first checked all my connections and replace the wire form the battery to the solenoid because it was fried. i also noticed the solenoid was loose i secured it and checked all other connections. i also boosted my battery at auto zone for free! when i put everything together i decided to try to start it out before i try to test anything... it started ... waited for a while looked over all my connections still everything good. i shut it down and started it again started right up.. so as of now i am thinking that the solenoid needed to be grounded ... but now i am noticing that there is some gasoline leaking out of the carburetor.. any recommendations on my new carburetor problem??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts