Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a 1965 mustang with some1966 body parts ?

I was told that at some point the factory ran out of 1965 parts and used 1966 parts. Any truth to that?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have heard of some parts being used in transition from one year to the next, as in a late-production 65 cars getting some 66 specific parts, or even some new 66 models getting some leftover 65 parts. There weren’t too many differences between the 2 as far as universal fitment. Most of the changes for 66 were either cosmetic or just additional options that weren’t available in 65. I’ve seen some all-original 66 cars get the moon pebble looking trunk mats instead of the plaid for example, and those were largely phased out for mid 65 cars. My 65 fastback was built in January of 65 and got the bent metal folding seat rests instead of the flush mounted chrome ones that look better, and those were supposedly phased out by December for production and carried on for 66 and beyond.

Most of the time tho it’s someone who has owned the car in its 55 plus year history that put something in that didn’t necessarily belong to that car. There are so many aftermarket reproductions that people don’t always get the absolute correct part for how the car came from the factory and it’s hard to know exactly what that was without having a 1 owner or untouched all original car.

·
Super Moderator
2,767 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
2015 Ruby Red GT, 1966 Silver Blue Coupe
677 Posts
What body parts are you specifically wondering about?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am looking this part - a rear seat delete for my 65 fastback. However, the description (no matter which site) specifically states it’s for a 66 and the manufacturer can’t guarantee it will fit a 65. Is there any reason it shouldn’t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
The rear seat delete you posted a picture of Is a '66GT350 part not a "Ford Mustang part" as ALL production "Mustang fastbacks" had a fold down rear seat.
YES the '66 rear seat delete WILL fit a '65. FWI the '65 GT350 rear seat delete (standard on ALL '65 GT350s) was flat on top and had a provision in the rear for the spare tire which mounted on top of the delete. '65s were fiber glass and "original" '66s were molded plastic. Current repops are fiberglass. I've added one to my GT350 which did come with the rear seat when it was sold to Hertz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts