Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ....i got a 65 mustang coupe with an 1987 302ho longblock rebuilt with jba shorty headers gt40 intake 65 mmbbk throttle body granitelli mass air meter 30 pound injectors bbk pfr....when i punch the car it loses power and feels like its sputtering out at around the high rpm range...i cant figure out what is wrong with my car....it runs fine in the low rpm range but in the high range its boggish and its annoying me could someone help me

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The throttle position sensor (tps) might be out of range or bad. There is a sticky thread that explains what voltage range to set it at and how to test it. Good luck

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well just by looking it seems like you got a ton of fuel but nothing to support such large injectors. What else does this car have? Did you check the timing?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
x2..what are you doing with 30lb injectors on a stock motor??!?!

put the stock 19's and meter back in and it'll probably run just fine

you have no need for 30's..or even 24's..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
why should i change the injectors back to 19 from 30 i thoght the eec would con trol the injectors and only give it the right amount of fuel anyway....do u really think going back to 19 would help me?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
30# injectors are too big! The ecm will not be able to control them enough go back to the 19# inj like everyone said. Also make sure you have 38# of fuel at idle with vacuum removed.

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
30s on a stock engine are freakin HUGE. That'd be like putting a 750 double pumper with 88 jets on there, they're way too much and flooding the engine. You're no where near needing 30s, you're still in the range for 19 pound injectors. To need 30s, you'd have to be at least 380 engine hp.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
The larger an injector gets, the worse it is at metering out fuel at very low amounts. If you run an injector that is too large for your combo, you run the risk of having idle, and driveability problems,and generally anything over 24lb/hr size needs a custom computer chip/tune to work well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright guys im gonna stop being hardheaded....i really dont even know why i put 30 lb injectors on ther but tommorow when i get up im going straight to summit racing here in sparks nevada to buy some 19 pound injectors and a new mass air meter and ill let you guys know how it turns out....the thing about putting a 750 double pumper carb made alot of sense i just figured that the eec would only let the 30 lb injectors spray on so much fuel as it neede it...but ill be back on here tomorow to let yall know what happen ...thanks for the feedback...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this is what happen now.....i didnt change the 30 pound injectors everyone wanted me to change....i dont got a timing light but i loosened the dizzy and turned it a lot to the left and now the car is fast as **** not bogging at all and runs so super sweet ....i cant believe the power....the car has less than 200 miles on it.....now the question is this .....i set the timing by hand and it runs sweet so do i need a timing light now to make sure its at the right spot or is it just fine by hand and the idle is good too... but also the question is this.....what is my timing supposed to be at? whats degrees? i think one time i turned it to far and on the freeway unser full throttle i could hear like lifter or the motor like rattling or clinking so i turned it back the other way a little but it still sometimes only sometimes has a slight bog to it.......let me know guys...thanks

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.