Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a crate engine in a 65 mustang and switched over to an hei distributor which has an internal coil I'm told.

Vehicle: 1965 Mustang V8 302 Coupe

I can't get the car to turn over. It does crank when I jump the positive solenoid terminal to the front terminal on the solenoid. In switching the distributor to hei I removed the old coil. and just ran a 12 volt non resistance wire from the ignition to the pos bat terminal on the distributor. Is there anything else I have to do? What happens to the old I terminal wire from the solenoid that used to go to the coil? Could this be my problem? Totally at a loss

Any thoughts or ideas on what it could be? I'm so frustrated with it at this point. Thanksfor any ideas guys

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I'm thinking you have 2 problems, the 1st being you can't crank the engine with the ignition key. And the 2nd problem being you can't get the engine to start when you crank it with the starter solonoid. For the 1st problem, you really need a voltmeter, VOM, or DVM to help you troubleshoot these problems (W-mart has a DVM for about 20 bucks if you don't have a meter). Basically power for the cranking system, comes from the pos post on the battery to the starter solonoid where there is a wire to go the firewall inside to the ignition switch where it leaves and goes to the S terminal on the solonoid, somewhere in the path is the neutral safety switch if you have an automatic trans on the selector shaft or a switch on the clutch pedal if a manual transmission.

2. Problem no 2, cranks but won't start, you have to have 12 volts on the ignition module with the ignition key in the RUN position, for a HEI the resistor wire in the wiring harness will have to be bypassed, also you have to make sure you inserted the distributor correctly, with the NO. 1 cylinder on the compression stroke at the TDC (top dead center) your rotor in the dist should be lined up to the NO. 1 dist spark wire on the top of the dist cap it does not have to be exactly centered as the rotor has a elongated electrode to be near the electrode on the cap as the ignition is advanced when running. If this is okay, you need to check to see if the ignition system is producing a spark, pull the dist HV wire from the coil out and place near the intake metal and crank the engine to see if you get a good spark, it should see to pulse regularly as you crank the engine. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent put the spark plugs in yet or the wires. Im just trying to get the engine to prime before actually starting at this point. The first problem u listed sounds like my issue. Im going to try and bypass the neutral safety switch tonight to see if it will crank like that. If it does im guessing i need a new neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help! Bypassed the switch and it cranks fine. Reconnected the neutral safety switch and for some reason it works now. Maybe wasnt pushed in all the way? I did mess with the transmission shift linkage aswell. So maybe after the rebuild it just wasnt quite in neutral... But either way it looks to be fixed :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts