Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem where when i turn on my headlights my dash lights flicker in very slow intervals and my tailights wont turn on at all. Neither will my turn signals but i can hear the headlight switch engaging/clicking and my voltage it at 15.9. So any help would be cool. Thanks

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Your voltage is too high, either the voltage regulator is bad or needs to be adjusted. It is not uncommon for the lights (headlights, dash, etc) to flicker a little when the engine is idling, this is due to the mechanical nature of the voltage regulator, upgrading to a electronic regulator will eliminate this problem. As far as your tail lights, check your bulbs and the sockets, there is a lot of places for corrosion and bad connections in a car this old, believe me I know this first hand, it may be the headlight switch is bad, mine did several things, when I removed the old one it came out in pieces. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an electric regulator for all of the original electronics. It is very old but it had been fine for about 2 years. When i switch it on, thetailights come on and off with the flickering so im guessing the switch is dead. Is it hard to swap out?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it and its okay i took my steering wheel off and the turn singnal switch is torn up. Fried burnt and just a mess. I unhooked the wire for the blinkers and the flickering stopped. I want to order a new switch instead of cutting and splicing wires to see if this one still works but I've read that the repros don't work well and the original is real pricey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts