Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1966 Mustang with a 200 CID 6 cyl. The timing mark on the damper is way off of the timing marker. I have replaced the distributor with a rebuilt. Reset the dwell to 40 degrees. Reset the idle. And I am using a timing light. If I try and adjust the timing to get it to the 0 degree mark the car runs horrible and stalls. It runs ok where it was. When using a timing light the mark on the damper is about 60 degrees retarded. Hence-- I cannot set the timing correctly not knowing where it is. The timing is just where it was before the new distributor, the problem is exactly the same after installing a new distributor, resetting the dwell, idle and using the timing light. I reinstalled the distributor several times and got the same results. I put in the new distributor with the piston at TDC and checked the distributor location. The engine runs good even though the timing mark is way off the indicator. I dont know all work the previous owner did other than install a new carburetor and some valve work. Your help and ideas is appreciated. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
198 Posts
1. When you re-installed the distributor with the number one piston at top dead center, was the rotor pointing directly at number one on the distributor cap?

2. Have you checked the timing chain/gears to be sure that the alignment is correct?

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sounds like the damper ring has slipped, since the engine runs good. You need to verify that you are at TDC #1 and check the mark on the damper, it should be at 0* at that time. If it is not the damper needs replaced.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The other possibility is that the timimg pointer is incorrect for the damper, either way, it is not much use until TDC means TDC!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.