Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Can I just get an old metal coffee can and have it powder coated chrome?!
Bud,
....it would be cheaper to by a generic recovery system from AutoZone, than, paying the $8 /lb. for the coffee. Not to mention, the powder coating cost and the time taken to drink all of that coffee..LOL!
Nice try!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi,
Check with the usual auto parts stores first. Jegs, & Summit sell them. Here's an example of one that mounts to your rad support. These come in many different configurations.
Be Cool Aluminum Overflow Recirculating Catch Can - JEGS

I found this on JEG's site. These are a little more expensive, being aluminum, but, it gives you an idea what's out there.

In the pic, you'll see my coolant cylinder connected to my Monte Carlo bar. I mounted it there because it 16-17" tall and would not mount next to my rad as it interfered with my horns mounted on either side of the frame near the bottom of the rad.
I have one of these aluminum cylinders. Be careful with the tubes coming out of the bottom though, since they are quite fragile. I had to re-weld mine when I broke the weld trying to attach the hose.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have one of these aluminum cylinders. Be careful with the tubes coming out of the bottom though, since they are quite fragile. I had to re-weld mine when I broke the weld trying to attach the hose.

Hmmm? Good point. Thus far, I haven't experienced that bit misery.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Haha I know who in their right mind would pay to powder coat a coffee can?? I'll probably end up getting one of the chrome/aluminum overflow cylinders that bolt up to the rad support. In all the pictures it seems like there's two tubes coming out the botton.. or is it just one?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Haha I know who in their right mind would pay to powder coat a coffee can?? I'll probably end up getting one of the chrome/aluminum overflow cylinders that bolt up to the rad support. In all the pictures it seems like there's two tubes coming out the botton.. or is it just one?

Hi,
Yeah, we know you were just "fun'in" us.
One of those tubes is the overflow and is connected to a tube leading to the road. The other is the rad input. Looking inside, the tube you see extending near the top is the overflow. The operation being if the capacity of this tank is exceeded the overflow dumps. I generally fill the tank about half full. After a few cycles and the cooling system has been expunged of all air the remaining level is usually maintained. As I mentioned in an earlier post, you know it is working well when the coolant level is just at the base of the filler cap sealing lip.
Forgot to mention, although it may get a little warm inside, open the heater control to allow circulation through the heater core. This insures no trapped air there, as well.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts