Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using the Ford part number thread/post that was posted here about 3-4 weeks ago. I completely forgot who posted it. :worship

My question is about the 3rd character in the beginning of the Ford part number. I thought the Z was for Mustang. Most of my parts are Z, but alot are 0. (0 is Fairlane & Torino the list i have says.) I also know they used to "borrow" parts from what ever assy. line had them.

Most Body parts have the Z. But alot of Engine parts have the 0. If you want more info about what parts have what date, please ask.

The Block, Manifold & Steering Gear dates are January 15 to 27th. Steering Gear buck tag & Engine buck tag are as they should be according to The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook. Scheduled Build date of Feb 09 1966. All the other dates i have found on the entire car are between Oct '65 & Jan '66.

One weird thing is the Distr is C6AF & Distr shaft says C50F

Thank You in advance. :yup: Ken

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The "z" parts are mustang specific parts, anything else was a common part compatible with many other cars.
the only engine parts that you will see a xxZx would be the Boss engine components, such as the 1970 boss 302 heads D0ZE

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thank you sir! that makes alot of sense to me now. ill sleep better now knowing that. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The complete distributor and carb assemblies would normally have a Z code on them since they were specific to a Mustang. The individual parts in those assemblies were almost always generic parts that could fit most anything. The vacauum advance units were a B9 something since they were first used on '59 Fords, long before Mustangs were thought of. Almost every other part of the cars, except exterior sheet metal, were shared with some other models.

The SBF engine was developed to power Fairlanes which is why most of the parts are O parts. Torino hadn't been invented yet (except it Italy where its spelled Turin). The HiPo was not a Mustang engine but for hotrod Fairlanes and then Falcons. Only sort of accidentally did they realize that Falcons, called Mustangs, sold with different sheet metal would be such a huge marketing success.

The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Casting Numbers/ Part Numbers

·
Registered
913 Posts
The numbers on the parts are engineering codes, not part numbers. The third digit (A, O, F, Z etc.) means that particular car engineering group was responsible (i.e. paid for) the development of that particular part. That's why you'll see distributors on 289 4V engines that read "C5GF-12127-A", or 289 2V engines with C5AF-12127-M, or the 289 High Performance with the C5OF-12127-E. Even carburetors were not always marked with the "Z", if it moved straight over from a carb developed by the Falcon group, for example, it could be a "D", such as the C6DF-B.

Same goes for chassis parts. Trim and interior parts were not immune, either. The pistol-grip deluxe interior door handles, and fastback quarter lights, were originally Thunderbird parts, and door and window cranks could just as easily come from Falcons or even Galaxies. The Mustang shared the "wood" steering wheel with the Fairlane (a car named after a house) and so on.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Much Thanx Ivy & David. I would of never known that the Fairlane was named after a house! lol But yeah, that was some good info from both of ya. I been wanting to ask someone about the lack of a Z in the series of numbers, but was scared i might not get the answer i wanted

I thought i had read all about The Care & Feeding of Ponies - guess not. Either that or "old-timers"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts