Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Right now I have a 289 v8 with a c4 in my 1966 coupe. I pulled them both out last weekend and now I'm thinking about putting in a 302. I have a couple questions:

1) Where can I get a new/remanufactured 302 short block? (i already have all the parts to put on it, i just need a short block made for this year mustang)

2) Will there be any problems fitting a 302 into the car? For instance, will the motor mounts line up with the 289 ones on the shock towers? Will the original c4 mate up with the 302 or do i need a new bell housing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The 289 and 302 are identical blocks, the motor mounts will go right on as well as the trans, you may need to use the oil pan and oil pick-up off the 289 to make it work, because between the old 289 and the newer 302's it was changed and the timing cover and water pump maybe also and dip stick location and timing marks pointer, and if the newer engine has a harmonic balancer it may be thicker and put your pulleys out of line, so you will have to space your accessories out more. I think I covered everything, if I haven't I know someone will help out with more info. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Be Careful on that shop with that kind of feedback. I'd keep searching around to find a shop on ebay that has a 98% or better. Some people think 95% is still alright, but I'd rather buy from a seller near 100%. Just check around.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Any 1968-2011 302/5.0 will bolt into your car. As long as you use the correct configuration balancer and flywheel, you can bolt any 302/5.0 into your car and no one will even know it's not original.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Any 1968-2011 302/5.0 will bolt into your car. As long as you use the correct configuration balancer and flywheel, you can bolt any 302/5.0 into your car and no one will even know it's not original.
except that the 5.0 was discontinued after 2001...
stay away from pre 85 longblocks...they're not roller blocks, and stock vs stock, the 85+ longblocks will make on average 50-75 more HP than a vintage block....or 100-150 more HP if you run an explorer 5.0 with the right cam and carb setup

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not too concerned about getting amazing horsepower.. i bought a top end kit from edelbrock that gives 320hp on a stock 302 (pre-1985) that will be going on it without a roller cam. its only going to be a good street car.

so besides horsepower i should be good to go getting this engine bolted up? i'm more concerned with setting the timing than anything else mechanical. i know you have to find TDC... cylinder #1 has to be at the top of its run

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe if i had 6k i could buy one of those haha im tryna keep this as low-budget as possible.. 1k would be awesome

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that's not a production block...That's a catalog 5.0 offered through ford seperate of their production vehicles.

Suppose if you used that same logic you could say find a 302 boss block 68 or so to 2011...as ford offers the boss block again too.

That's also the "BOSS" 302, not the production 5.0 we were talking about which was discontinued after 2001, and in fact, production of the 5.0 engine I heard ended years earlier, but they continued to use their supply until 01. If you're lucky enough to find a standard production 5.0 in a magazine, it's leftovers from over a decade ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts