Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i'm working on 1966 mustang with an original 289-4 speed toploader configuration. The 289 that i have currently in the car is in too poor of condition to drive. It's burning oil and misfiring. There is a 351 for sale in my town and it seems to be a good deal. I just don't know how everything will line up with what i've got as far as motor mounts, transmission etc. The 351 is currently in a 1977 ford car (not a mustang) Anyone have any suggestions/advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Welcome lets try your question in here.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The 351W will fit but there are considerations that you should be aware of before starting the project. You will want to get the entire engine with all accessory brackets that you will be using. The 289 parts will NOT fit.Headers are going to be a headache - if you can find some that fit they are likely to be in the $400 - $500 dollar range and small to medium tube sizes. Changing spark plugs is an excersize in patience - there is little room for more than a socket and box-end wrench. Your four speed stuff will all bolt up and the starter will be the same. You will lose a bit of hood clearance but with careful choices there is no need to cut holes in the hood. Heater hoses need to be fitted around the head because the 351W is an inch taller and it is half in the way.
On the plus side it is a good change in torque and HP with only a slight change in mpg. The 77 heads have small valves and big chambers and are ok for street use but respond to larger valves and a good porting - this will cost nearly the same as a set of AFR 165s which are far better in the HP department than the iron heads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am in the process in doing this exact swap on My quarter mile car. Pretty much was already said by PaulS. I have found that using some adjustable motor mounts is a plus for ease of assembly. As headers go, if You are going to use full length headers, the only ones I found that will work with the top loader trans. are the Hooker Headers made for the swap. Their are some others but after checking will not work with the top loader.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, thanks guys, thanks for the advice. The engine is in another car right now, so i'll be able to get it with everything included (mounts, carb, water pump, everything!) It's really good to know that my transmission will work. I came across something about the radiator too. Do you know if i'll have to get a new radiator or not? And one other question, the engine is in an automatic transmission ford ltd, do I have to change with my flywheel or clutch and will the z bar hook up with the 351 block? thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so i went and looked at the engine today. It has 108k miles on it =/ but it looks as if it is a big block. Did ford ever make a 351 out of a big block. The engines codes etc say that it is an M code 351. I think i may have read that M codes won't fit in a 66 mustang??? any advice? Thanks

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
M code as in " Modified"? If so nothing is compatible. Check the number of bolts holding the valve cover down. If you count six, your okay. If you count eight don't buy it. It won't fit anything you have. The Modified is a larger version of the Cleveland. The odd part is the bellhousing is like that of a 429/460. You'll need to find a Windsor.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:D thanks! yeah it's a 351 M as in modified and it did look way bigger that a windsor. Also said something about a 400 cid transmission hooked up to it so that's out!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Here ya go. E-bay- 1969 351 windsor- item # 130297259107. Best year for this engine.:bigthumbsup Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.