Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for thoughts on keeping my 1966 289 convertible cool. I replaced the radiator with a 3 row aftermarket, and this has improved idle temperature issues, but it just seems to prolong the inevitable temp gauge climb over the 3/4 mark. Although, it does take a good 30-45 mins in traffic to get there. I have a 6 blade fan, with a shroud. I have checked fan/shroud positioning, and clearances, and from what I have read in other posts, everything looks good there. Any thoughts on going with a hi flow water pump or an electric fan, or both? Also, if I go with an electric fan, what would be the power draw on the alternator? Would it be enough to be a factor in deciding on an alternator upgrade?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
503 Posts
I replaced my stock water pump with an edelbrock hi-flow one:

EDELBROCK WATER PUMP HI-FLOW 289/302/351W 1965-1969 | CJ Pony Parts

I also replaced my stock radiator with a 3-row aluminum one, but I put in an electric fan too. I have a 65-amp alternator and it handles the extra load of the electric fan just fine. You might also want to replace your stock thermostat with a better quality one, such as a Stant Superstat premium one.. 180 degree. You should be running 50/50 coolant mix too

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
edelbrock victor series water pump and a good afco or flex lite 2500 or close CFM electric fan and you will be golden. You can gain about 15hp just by removing the rotating mass of a standard fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all. I did a radiator flush and made sure I had a 50/50 mix when I refilled it. I think that may have done the trick. Sometimes it is the simple things. I'm still going to replace the thermostat and the water pump, though I feel like I may be fixing what ain't broke. I like the idea of an electric fan too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts