Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So i've drained my 8 inch, replaced the pumpkin with a rebuilt 8 inch with posi and 3.25 gears. So far i've pour a full gallon of gear oil in plus 4 oz of friction modifier.

How much oil is it supposed to hold? I filled it with the drain plug facing up so i could pour it straight in.

Btw it's starting to leak around the differential pinion nut... what does this mean?

·
Registered
39 Posts
got to much in. with the pinion sticking out front like it would in the car, only fill till it comes out the fill port.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes you have way too much gear oil in, you don't want to ruin any of the axle or pinion seals from too much oil. Even though not that much pressure is built up in the differential, the seals are delicate. Your differential should be filled in the position that it sits in the car, and the oil filled up to the drain port.
Good Luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Start over!!! Drain all that fluid out you have way too much in it. They usually hold somewhere around 2 quarts of fluid if I remember right someone else may chime in with exact amount if known. But the diff has a fill hole should be on the side of the carrier or on the housing depending on what year differential you have. The fluid level should be at the bottom edge of this hole with diff sitting in same position as if it were in vehicle.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
3 quarts and you're golden. Good thing my mechanic told me before I bought the gallon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah... i made the mistake of filling with it on jackstands and rotated so that the front was facing the floor.. it holds much more that way lol I'm gonna pull the plug today with it in an let it drain til its level

thanks for the quick reply guys :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The 8" housings often only have a fill plug, they don't have a drain plug. Even 3 qts is too much. For '66 it only held 4 1/2 pints.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Well, it could've been less than 3 but at least 2 for sure. Fill 2 and see where you at, and then play it by eyes. You can always call a rear end shop or mechanic shop and they can for sure help you out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bad Ivy I was talking about the fill plug, mine doesn't have a drain plug (I'm thinking thats a good thing)

And everyone was right its somewhere around 2-2.5 quarts.. with the rear actually installed this time I pulled the fill plug til the fluid was level with the hole.

I'm guessing that when you overfill it starts leaking out around the pinion nut??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts