Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am a bit (actually a lot) confused about something. At the different parts sites, I see them differentiating between V8 steering and 6 cyl steering. I don't understand what the engine size has to do with the steering. I would think that they are independent.

My 66 coupe project includes a 200 cu in motor which I plan to connect to a C4 transmission and use the 5 lug 8 inch rear end I just bought.
Of course, when I buy my disc brakes, I will need to get 5 lug rotors, so does this mean I need to buy all the V8 steering linkage?
Does it matter what engine I put on top of the front end I install?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
141 Posts
The V8 is heavier and many of the suspension components are different (as well as 5-lug wheels and a beefier 8" or 9" rear). I believe the steering box is unchanged from I6 to V8 (but there are different ratios to consider if you're going from manual steering to power steering... not specific to the engine displacement).

This might help:
I6 to V8 swap? - Vintage Mustang Forums

·
Registered
141 Posts
BTW, I don't see any harm in retrofitting a V8 suspension with your I6 engine. It would not be advisable to swap in a V8 engine while keeping the 6-cylinder suspension and rear.

While you're working on the suspension, you should consider the Shelby/Arning drop (I6 OR V8) as it will greatly improve handling. Chockostang on the VMF site should be able to answer any "off the wall" suspension/disc brake conversion questions that you may have.

Did you locate a solid set of '66 V8 front spindles?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I follow you, the "V8 steering" is basically the beefed up version that the heavier engine needs.
I just bought spindles on ebay last night for $275. There were lots of pictures, so I'may confident that they'll be goid.

I have been thinking about doimg the drop, but haven't decided. The rim is already a bit taller, but I guess I can get a shorter tire.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The drop is fairly simple if you pay attention to the details and do it right. Templates are available to simplify the task. Note that it actually lowers the front end just about 1/2" (maybe 5/8") because of the geometry of the suspension components. It's well worth it. Search Online (the VMF forum is another good source of information) for tire/wheel sizes that work well without rolling the fenders and such.

To answer your question directly, Yes the V8 steering and suspension components are "beefier" than those used for the I6. To the best if my knowledge, you cannot use 5-lug V8 spindles with I6 suspension components... the geometry is all-wrong.

In addition to the drop, i also recommend a heavier sway bar (I have a 1"), a Monte Carlo bar and/or the heavier export brace. People swear by the roller perches too. Adjustable strut rods (like those used in '67) are also a great addition that will give you significant flexibility (I opted for the more economical SPC 94220 ADJUSTABLE CASTER STRUT RODS W/BUSHINGS for about $70 each, shipped).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts