Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe and I am pretty sure my suspension is shot. Every time I hit a speed bump or a slight bump in the road I can hear the rear axle banging up in the exhaust pipes. And if there are 4 people in the car, I can feel that the suspension does absolutely nothing.

So I've been looking into changing most of the suspension out with the '66 Grab-A-Track handling kit from MustangsPlus.com ( Mustang Parts from Mustangs Plus :: --Kits-- :: Suspension Kits :: Grab-A-Trak® Spring and Handling Kits :: 1965-66 Grab-A-Trak® Spring and Handling Kit ) I'd be getting 4 1/2 leafs (semi sport)

Does anybody have any experience with this kit ? And also, hopefully in the next years I'll be putting in a 351w in my car. Is this suspension good enough to handle that engine or would I need some sort of performance suspension ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have that kit in my stang. I would highly recommend getting the 5 leaf springs. I had the 4 leafs and they didn't hold up well. they were ok for a couple of years but With my subs in the trunk and passengers the tires would rub when I hit bumps. Last year I put the 5 leafs in and kyb shocks and it is much better, a little stiff but handles well and has not bottomed out at all.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I would give OpenTrackRacing a look. Contact Dave on the site and he can recommend a nice set up for your car. I agree with Havoc that the 5 leaf are the way to go in the rear. I have 5 leaf mid-eye in mine and it drops the ride height about 1 inch. 620 springs in the front will drop that 1 inch. Stiffer all around, but better handling and these old gals need all the help they can get in that department.

Opentracker Racing Products

·
Registered
246 Posts
Grab a trak is nothing but a fancy name on oem parts.
While it may be true that grabatrak is not the fanciest, most expensive suspension out there, they are of good quality and do perform well. If your car is a daily driver it will be fine, if your building a road racer maybe something higher dollar would be more appropriate. With the grab a trak suspension kit on my car the difference was night and day. I also put their rear sway bar on and tie rods. The car handles great and is very comfortable to drive. The only complaint I had was the 4 leafs did not last very long but that may have as much to do with my heavy speaker box and amps weighing them down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.