Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having an overheating problem which seem to get fixed once I rewelded the radiator and flushed all the bar stuff out of the system. It seems to run about 210f but the stock temp gauge stays in the middle. But I think that I might have gotten water and antifreeze somewhere it shouldn't. When I first tried to start it the running was very rough. It wouldn't idle and it would stall out when given a little gas. It was running for a while and just clicked and started running better. But now the idle is super low and when I want to go I have to pump the gas a little bit. And its noticeably missing at highway speed.

This is all of a sudden. Did I screw up the points or something?
It has points and the distributor out of a 66 btw. New cap and rotor, wires and plugs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When it was running rough, what the motor wet? I mean did you just spray it down before you started it up? If so, you could have gotten water where it formed a short to ground, thereby stealing your spark.

Sounds like you need to do a tune up. Starting with determining if you have proper spark. You have new parts, but are they good? As in non-defective?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was running real nice until I got the engine wet. Now I tried to run it and it went fine for a minute then stopped dead. No spark at all. Looks like I need to do some trouble shooting. And a tune up too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd advise removing the points altogether, and using a Pertronix instead. Less hassle and better starting.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if the vacuum advance is suppose to leak at all? I put some vacuum to the hose coming off the carb and it didn't move and there was a hissing sound. Is it trashed and needing replaced?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I decided to change the points and clean out the distributor cap and rotor. After installing the new points I set the gap to .028 thousands at first then to .014. Everyone seamed to have a dwell meter but either they couldn't find it or it wasn't working or they haven't set the dwell in so long it took them a minute to figure it out.
I managed to set the dwell with the key on the coil wire off and using the starter to crank the engine over. While doing that I got the dwell to get to 28d and set it but after watching it for a minute it slowly started creeping over to 30 then 32. I'm wondering if thats normal or should I keep trying to get it worked out over to between 26 to 29? I haven't driven her yet but if its still not back to where it was I might just drive to the store for a new ignition or dissy all together.
Thanks for your help I'm sure I'll hit a wall and be back asking more questions soon. Thanks in advance for any help there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts