Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to drill the holes in the Fender for the emblems before I start priming the car, but I'm not sure where they exactly go? Does anyone know ? Also why are all the emblems so different for each car, Coupe, Convt, Fastback, GT's, 8 cyl, 6 cyl and etc??

I'm looking for the correct measurements, locations and which emblems should I used. I have a 66 GT Fastback.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Greg, you can look at the photos of my 66 coupe in my album to see placement of the 66 style. I believe there was only one style in 66, which differed a little from 65. The color and composition of the GT badge also differed between years. I actually liked the 65 version better but wanted to be true to the year. If I remember correctly, the GT badge and tape stripes I got from Scott Drake came with a little template to help you position it properly on the fender. If not I have the templates for the stripe, lettering and GT badge that I might be able to copy and send.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snaranjo, Thanks for the info. I thought I knew which emblems are used and where they go, but after seeing and hearing about other cars now I wonder??

I have the measurements for the GT badge and the Mustang letters that goes on the Fender. What I'm not sure about, is there a V with a 289 emblem that's near the front top of the fender? I have seen pictures of a GT fastback both with and without this 289 emblem. My car is a 66 A code GT Fastback. I thought the K code GT fastbacks had the 289 Hipo emblem, but not the A code GT Fastbacks. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Greg, I believe that all models, C-code, A-code, K-code came from the factory with the 289V emblem on the front fender. On the k-code there was an extra piece that fits behind the 289V to give the high performance labeling. It is a common emblem to remove during restoration and you see many cars without it. But chances are, if you look behind the fender you will see where they filled the holes in. That template I sent you the link for has info on the placement of the 289V too. I could also do some quick measurements on my 66 which has the original fenders and emblem holes.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The stencil is excellent. I prefer to use stick-on "MUSTANG" letters.
Thats the direction I went. Even with the stencil I just couldn't bring myself to drill that many holes and maybe end up with a crooked letter. Thought I read somewhere that one of the letters in "MUSTANG" was actually a little bit off from the factory because of a problem with the template. The stick-on letters have held up very well. Think they use that great stuff from 3M. Did drill for the GT badge and already had the holes for 289V.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I drilled the holes for the V-289 and the GT badge. I ordered the stick on MUSTANG letters instead of drilling 28 holes.

I found the so called Correct demensions/locations for what I drilled. I also have 3 original fenders with the emblems still on and they are not perfect at all. The locations differ on all 3 as with the so called Correct demensions I found.

Greg

·
Registered
765 Posts
I also have 3 original fenders with the emblems still on and they are not perfect at all. The locations differ on all 3 as with the so called Correct demensions I found.

Greg
Not too surprising. Would like to have been a fly on the wall when the first generation Mustangs were moving through the assembly line. I bet lots of little details like that were never exact depending on the day of the week and lots of other variables. To be honest, no one will likely notice that detail unless you point it out. Good luck on the continued progress on your FB - can't wait to see the final product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts